Tack rag DYI

Hi folks -

A while back somebody posted a way to DYI tack rags. Could author or someone repost? About to hit big painting job & hate to buy tack rag$.

Thanks & Happy Thanksgiving/Chanukah.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

  1. Buy new cheesecloth (if no suitable clean rags are on hand).
  2. Put one tablespoon of paint thinner into glass jar.
  3. Store tack rag in glass jar (for some days before use.)
Reply to
Don Phillipson

Here's one way... (do a Google Search and find many others)

Start the tack cloth making process by filling your slop sink with warm water. Then soak the cloths in the water. While the cloths are soaking in the water, fill a metal bucket with turpentine. Next, remove the cloths from the water and wring them dry. Once that's done, submerge them into the turpentine. Allow the cloths to soak in the turpentine for

5 minutes or less.

At the end of the soaking period, remove the cloths from the turpentine and wring them out. The cloths should be moist but not dripping wet. Keep going by spritzing both sides of the cloths with clear varnish. Then work the clear varnish evenly into the fabric. It should turn the cloths yellow and render them sticky. After they dry completely, place the cloths inside a sealed storage container until you are ready to use them.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Microfiber is better.

Reply to
dadiOH

You mean just plain microfiber cloths w/o anything added? I have a lifetime supply from Costco, so wouldn't mind sacrificing a few; just wanted to clarify.

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Thanks, everybody who responded. Think I'll try least complicated steps first; if NG, will proceed to others. NEW SUGGESTIONS STILL WELCOME!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Correct. Plain ol' microfiber.

I used to make my own...dampen a piece of cheesecloth, add a little varnish (few drops to teaspoon full), wad up, let sit un a jar, use. The microfiber is better.

If you like them, send me a bunch...I don't have a lifetime supply. And I'm

80!!
Reply to
dadiOH