tablesaw

What is the best way to preserve the tablesaw surface, drillpress table and bandsaw table. I heard someone say that a good quality car wax will do it. I have also heard someone mention a Teflon spray. I am having a slight problem with rust on my tools and am wondering what other guys use?
Dave writes:

Spray lithium grease in a can. Home Depot. Gotta wipe it off when you do some work, tho.
Dave wrote:

The classic stuff is Johnson's Paste Wax. Or you could get some Boeshield. What I absolutely wouldn't use is any type of car wax with silicon in it; it causes problems later when you're trying to get a nice finish on your work.
Anyway, I've used both Johnson's and Boeshield. Given the choice, I'd go with the Johnson's, just because a can will last forever. I'm still using a can that was bought back in the 1960s. Boeshield comes in a spray can.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

The best product to remove rust is called Top Saver. Incredible how it works so well.
The best to preserve it is Top Cote or Boeshield. Spray it on every few weeks in cold and damp weather, depending on use. These are well proven products used by many woodworkers. Paste wax (Johnson's or Butchers) is OK, but not as good as the above. Never use a product containing silicones (many car waxes do) as it can get on the wood and make finishing a problem. .
You can find this stuff at: www.leevalley.com or www.woodcraft.com
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Johnson's Paste Wax, in the yellow can. I use it once or twice a month. A can lasts 5 years.

Don't use anything that leaves a residue, like silicon (like a lot of car waxes). It can contaminate the wood and make finishing problematic. Some waxes won't even sand off, just melt deeper into the grain. ------------------------------------------=o&>o---- Steve Manes, Brooklyn, USA www.magpie.com
Dave wrote:

Use them regularly. Works with most tools. :)