Table Saw recommendation needed please.

I don't need cabinet makers grade. I just want one that is a 10" and has a fence that doesn't have to be dicked with every dam time to keep it square. I have this POS rockwell I paid WAY too much for at an auction, and it just has to go. The fence is not worth the powder and shot it would take to blow it across the street. Something currently on the market new for $350 - $450 would be what i will be shopping for.
Any suggestions , or units to avoid?
thanks!
steve barker
"S. Barker" wrote:

I'm mostly a metalworker, but I have one of the Bosch contractor type portable table saws that I use for the odd woodworking project as well as stuff like acrylic and UHMW stock, and it does a good job.
Pete C. wrote:

I don't know anything about your saw, but if the saw itself is adequate and the fence is lousy you might want to consider just replacing the fence. I have a Delta contractor's saw that I bought 15 to 20 years ago. The fence was useless. I added a Delta Unifence (there may be better fences today) and added a Uni-T fence to it. I can set this fence with an accuracy & precision of less than 1/128"
http://www.ptreeusa.com/uni_t_fence.htm
I'd guess that I have $350-450 invested in my fence but it was worth it.
Boden

Thanks for your reply. I dont' think too much of the saw itself either. it's a direct drive, spins about a million rpm, and is gutless.
steve

The fence is the key to wood sawing happiness. Unfortunately, in your price range you will get mostly mediocrity. A good fence, such as Biesemeyer or Unifence costs close to your entire budget.
You may want to consider something like this http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Table-Saw-1-1-2-HP-Single-Phase-110V-Left-Tilt/G0575 or http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Table-Saw-1-1-2-HP-Single-Phase-110V/G0444
Other good brands are Delta and Jet, but the better models are in the $1000 range and up.
Please, avoid the temptation to get a cheap benchtop or an aluminum table saw for $199 on sale at Sears.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Table-Saw-1-1-2-HP-Single-Phase-110V-Left-Tilt/G0575
Thanks for the reply. I definitely will not be going to sears for a table saw. I remember picking out the saws for a spa cabinet building shop from ww grainger, but i have no idea which ones they were. They seemed to be good saws at the time. (15 yr ago)

Adding to this: This Grizzly was highly rated in a recent woodworking magazine article (sorry, can't come up with a link). Cut & paste this in your browser: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1023SL IIRC, the price was in the $8-900 range and for what it is, seems like a great buy. If my ancient Delta ever gives up that one is first on my list.
Joe
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Oh bother! I just bought a Ryobi table saw for $99.00 at HD!
Needed a table saw for one project (laminate flooring). Worked swell.
Now I've got a saw for other projects, such as making tomato stakes out of 1x6 boards.

Tomato stakes are about the limit of that saw. If you attempt to do some furniture, bookcase or bench, you'll curse the first time you try to accurately crosscut a wide board that does not fit in front of the blade.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I've already used it for other projects.
I cut up some vinyl guttering so the bits would fit in the trash can.
Worked swell.
I find my $99.00 saw works twice as good with a $99.00 blade in it.
cm
wrote in message

Very true. I used the blade that came with my saw and it was OK, but when I tried a better blade, I was really impressed. I still have the old blade for when I have to rip a 2 x 4 but I'd never go back to it for real woodworking.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Ed,
My saw blade comment was a little tongue in cheek..... I do have a cheap Ryobi table saw that we use for ripping stuff on job sites. I don't think you could safely or accurately cross cut much of anything on it. In my home shop I have a 1950's Unisaw and a Robland X31 combo machine to make my garden stakes and toothpicks on. ;-)
cm
www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

wrote in message

Agreed. Last summer, I had to put up two screen doors at our cabin and do some very small light work. So, I bought the $99 Ryobi table saw. I was in awe at first, never having had a table saw. The things a table saw could do!
Long story short, I quickly outgrew the tool as NOW my projects became bigger and more complicated. Cutting anything of size on the tiny tippy saw was an exercise in pucker muscles. Many a time I had the wife out there helping me support this or that, and we learned about kicks and idiosyncrasies of a table saw.
Any tool is good for what it is made for. Outside that, it usually sucks big time. I'm a big fan of overbuying, but at the time the little saw did its job and a whole lot more little stuff. At times, though, I really do wish I had gone an extra Franklin or two and gotten a bigger one. Outgrowing a tool can be costly, painful, and frustrating.
Who knows. Maybe some day.
Steve
On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 22:41:32 -0500, "S. Barker"

A cabinet saw for $450? I'd say "avoid that one!" But for $450 you can get a good fence for your Rockwell.
I think if you will go up to $500.00 you could get a Jet contractors saw with a great fence. I just sold mine after 8 years of trouble free service. The only reason I sold is I bought a Delta Unisaw real cheap. I also just got a Robland X31 combination machine on Craigslist real cheap. If I like the X31 I'll sell the Delta Unisaw. Keep looking on Craigs list for a used Delta or Jet with a good fence.
Good luck,
cm

Ridgid's TS 2410 (portable contractor type) and the 3650 (now, the 3660) also received very good reviews. I have owned the later for 3 years and it cuts through 1.5" cherry with no trouble, using a better blade than the stock one. The Cummin's traveling tool show is an approved retailer of the reconditioned machines and I've seen the 3650 in the $450 range thru them. They also go on sale at Home Depot for $499 several times a year. I haven't paid attention to the 2410 but I was surprised at how highly rated it was. Being the 'baby brother' of the two it should be selling in the mid $300 range. As mentioned, the Jet and the Grizz lines are very good saws. Best of luck to you.
THANKS!