Table saw question

Does anyone have repair experience with the Delta "direct drive" (actually gear drive) table saw motor units ? Mine has been acting funny , has almost a "howling" sound under load , and today the blade stalled in a cut . Motor still at full RPM , blade dead stoppped and that noise coming from the motor unit . I know there is slippage in there , need to know if this is a major repair or just an overload device that I've , well , overloaded . If this turns out to be a big deal I'll just move the fence over to the "new" belt drive unit I got at a yard sale (25 bucks) . I did nurse it through cutting all the OSB pieces for the trusses I'm working on , so it's not time-critical for now . I'm suspecting the driven gear on the arbor shaft is pressed on and is slipping ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

First reaction would be to check to see if any of the shafts are keyed, if so, check and make sure none of the keys are sheared.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

My first reaction would be to check to see if the blade is tight. I had a circular saw that did not seem to hold a blade tight, no matter how tight I made it. It was a cheap saw that appeared to be needing brushes anyhow because of the sparks that came out of the holes by the motor. I just bought another saw rather than screw with it.

If it's not a loose blade, or a sheared key, you probably have a stripped gear, or a bad bearing which is allowing the gears to slip. If that's the case, you might have a costly repair, if you can even get parts for it. Delta is a good brand name though!

Reply to
Kenny

That would involve disassembly and there's no time for that right now . I gotta get this roof on as soon as I can . Also , if it were a sheared key it would most likely not drive at all and/or make a different sound . Depending on what I find when I have time to dig into it there may be a key installed (I love having a machine shop) but more likely is that I'll start using the other saw I just bought .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

A stripped gear wouldn't drive at all . Anything short of a stripped helical gear I can probably fix in the shop . Just gotta figure out the time/cost/benefit to see if it's worth my time . Thus the question about direct experience with these motor units . Blade is tight BTW .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

It could easily drive with a sheared key 1f the set screws were still in place. It would drive but slip as you have described. Regardless, I would stop using it or fix it before you completely destroy a shaft.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

I'm done with it for now - and if I trash a shaft I can just make a new one on my lathe or repair the old one ... the only thing I can't do is helical gears . But why , when I have another saw that just needs a fence ?

Reply to
Terry Coombs