table saw motor binding electrical smoke resistance noise jerky....how BAD

jloomis

On 4/4/2009 4:19 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Sounds as if the proper replacement procedure would be, to paraphrase an old musical-instrument repairperson acquaintance of mine:

  1. Remove sawblade.
  2. Slide new saw under sawblade.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

So true, your usnet advice is worthless again.

Reply to
ransley

My mid size (but not old monster, such as one sees in lumber yrads!) bench saw has a separate one HP AC induction motor hanging out the back using the weight of the motor to tension the drive belt. The step up ratio, is, I think, about 2.5 to 1 Motor has thermal reset; some sort of starting contacts/winding AFIK; no capacitor. It is connected in 230 volt mode. Was fortunate to eventually find a double pole switch which have mounted on saw base. Fortunately never had to have that motor apart. But just curious? Do some of those all-in-one motorized bench saws have a brush motor (direct drive) buried under the saw deck. I guess in that case the saw blade is mounted directly on the motor arbor?

Reply to
stan

Yes, the low end saws like the Craftsman for $129 are like that. The have a lot of limitations, but for many, they get the job done cheaply.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Reply to
Craig M

My mid size (but not old monster, such as one sees in lumber yrads!) bench saw has a separate one HP AC induction motor hanging out the back using the weight of the motor to tension the drive belt. The step up ratio, is, I think, about 2.5 to 1 Motor has thermal reset; some sort of starting contacts/winding AFIK; no capacitor. It is connected in 230 volt mode. Was fortunate to eventually find a double pole switch which have mounted on saw base. Fortunately never had to have that motor apart. But just curious? Do some of those all-in-one motorized bench saws have a brush motor (direct drive) buried under the saw deck. I guess in that case the saw blade is mounted directly on the motor arbor?

+++++++++++++++++++++++

What you have might be a repulsion-induction motor. Alas, they were discontinued in the mid 1950's. And, my saw has such a motor.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Next time you go the store, turn any table saw that costs less than 300 upside down. They are basically a skilsaw (not necessarily Skilsaw brand) bolted upside down in there. Yes, they have brushes.

Reply to
DanG

Us few drummers on here all know that using brushes is quieter... and then started using table saws where brushes means ungodly loud. I couldn't believe the difference switching from a tabletop brushed motor TS to a "proper" induction motor. Serious danger of injury from not hearing the motor running.

As to yer busted motor. I''d rip it out and drag it along to the local washing machine repair place (seriously) and get 'em to check it out and quite for a recondition/exchange if faulty. They may have brushes to fit or have a rewind/recondition service on the premises or be able to recommend their pet service if not. These guys handle fancy multispeed oscillating reversing motors all day. A TS motor will be child's play for 'em. If you know of a motor rewinders, try them first, or as well. They'll be able to tell you if there's a fault to be fixed.

If they don't have to dismantle a machine there'll probably be no charge for a quick check, or maybe a nominal fee whereas taking the whole thing somewhere for a strip and check will cost you £25. GBP ?45.00 USD just to look at it.

Then it's a judgment call - is the repair price worth it?

when you dismantle, the saw may have a left-handed thread (motor on your right, normal operating position) - or a right handed thread if it's on the operator's left.

Reply to
Bored Borg

On 4/4/2009 5:35 PM ransley spake thus:

At least I can admit when I'm wrong, something I've *never* seen you do (and boy, are you wrong a lot of the time!).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Really, so post them I dont remember any, and your still an ass to keep it up.

Reply to
ransley

If there was smoke coming out of the motor, the motor is shot. PERIOD. One of the windings burned up....

Maybe you can get replacement parts for that motor, or just a new motor. Unfortunately that generally costs as much as a new saw (or other tool). But some companies might be cheaper.

Another option would be to take the motor to an electric motor rebuilding shop. Maybe they can rewind the bad windings much cheaper. All you can do is ask them for an estimate.

Reply to
Jimw