table saw motor binding electrical smoke resistance noise jerky....how BAD

Page 1 of 2
My table saw motor has gone bad. It was like the blade was binding on something, and came to a fast stop when switched off. Then there was significant electrical smoke I had to air out. I unplugged it for a day. Now when I plug it in and start it it seems as if there is a series of jerky electrical resistance spurts, accompanied by a pulsating noise. Like the motor is firing against itself - resisting its own powered rotation by sending quick spurts of electricity power in the wrong direction. Rough, brief, jerky rotation.
It came with a complete manual listing all parts including a full motor, but also has a separate exploded parts illustration of just the motor. Unfortunately it's out of warranty. So can I suspect to replace any parts, without having to replace the whole motor?
table saw motor binding electrical smoke resistance noise jerky....how BAD
Mastercraft 55-6886-6 10" 15A 120V 60Hz 3.0 hp max 5000 rpm no-load speed
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id%34374303523072&bmUID 38874397130&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id„5524443277381&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true
Add pictures here
✖

Sounds like might be worn/bad brushes or commutator. How deep are you willing to go to save a buck? May be best to jes replace motor.
nb
Add pictures here
✖
bentley wrote:

Congratulations, you get to help jump start the economy by purchasing a replacement motor.
By the time you price out a replacement universal motor, you may find a new saw price to be just as attractive.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/4/2009 1:29 PM notbob spake thus:

Brushes for a *table saw motor*?
Just goes to prove the value of advice you get from Usenet ...
mostly pears.
✖
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Well, it could be a direct drive universal motor...
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/4/2009 3:02 PM Doug Winterburn spake thus:

You mean like on one of them cheap "motorized" saws? I thought the O.P. had a *real* table saw. So yeah, I guess it could have brushes, but not likely.
mostly pears.
✖
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Hi, Mastercraft is maybe even lesser than Sears tools.
Add pictures here
✖
David Nebenzahl wrote:

5,000 RPM should have given you the clue this is a universal motor and thus has brushes.
So much for your electrical knowledge.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
In dropped this bit of wisdom:

Just shows to go you ---A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. And, some times, it is the littlest minds that tend to dump on others the most.
P D Q
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/4/2009 3:27 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Whoops; missed that part of the post. So it does have brushes.
mostly pears.
✖
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Yes.
Saw is a "Kung FU Machinerty" Special.
I bought one for $50 in the mid '80s to throw in back of car for use at the boat yard.
If you get 2 years, consider yourself lucky.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/4/2009 4:19 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Sounds as if the proper replacement procedure would be, to paraphrase an old musical-instrument repairperson acquaintance of mine:
1. Remove sawblade. 2. Slide new saw under sawblade.
mostly pears.
✖

My mid size (but not old monster, such as one sees in lumber yrads!) bench saw has a separate one HP AC induction motor hanging out the back using the weight of the motor to tension the drive belt. The step up ratio, is, I think, about 2.5 to 1 Motor has thermal reset; some sort of starting contacts/winding AFIK; no capacitor. It is connected in 230 volt mode. Was fortunate to eventually find a double pole switch which have mounted on saw base. Fortunately never had to have that motor apart. But just curious? Do some of those all-in-one motorized bench saws have a brush motor (direct drive) buried under the saw deck. I guess in that case the saw blade is mounted directly on the motor arbor?
Add pictures here
✖
But just curious? Do some of those all-in-one motorized bench saws have a brush motor (direct drive) buried under the saw deck. I guess in that case the saw blade is mounted directly on the motor arbor?
Yes, the low end saws like the Craftsman for $129 are like that. The have a lot of limitations, but for many, they get the job done cheaply.
Add pictures here
✖
I have one of them sears specials here, that some one gave us, had to replace a cap. on it to get it to run, but pay attention to setting the fence parallel to the blade, and it makes pretty good cutsm been doing some remodeling work here, its not as good as my other one at the shop at my dads house, but it beats having to run back and forth, and it can be moved pretty easy, since it does not have a cast iron top, no I know its not a $1500 cabinet saw, but for remodeling work, its pretty good, would have love one of them fold up and roll away saws.
wrote in message

Add pictures here
✖

My mid size (but not old monster, such as one sees in lumber yrads!) bench saw has a separate one HP AC induction motor hanging out the back using the weight of the motor to tension the drive belt. The step up ratio, is, I think, about 2.5 to 1 Motor has thermal reset; some sort of starting contacts/winding AFIK; no capacitor. It is connected in 230 volt mode. Was fortunate to eventually find a double pole switch which have mounted on saw base. Fortunately never had to have that motor apart. But just curious? Do some of those all-in-one motorized bench saws have a brush motor (direct drive) buried under the saw deck. I guess in that case the saw blade is mounted directly on the motor arbor?
+++++++++++++++++++++++
What you have might be a repulsion-induction motor. Alas, they were discontinued in the mid 1950's. And, my saw has such a motor.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
Next time you go the store, turn any table saw that costs less than 300 upside down. They are basically a skilsaw (not necessarily Skilsaw brand) bolted upside down in there. Yes, they have brushes.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Ah yes, some small saws with universal motors have brushes. Glad you were able to learn something from Usenet today.
Add pictures here
✖

I will admit ignorance of "table saw motor". Are you saying there are no brushes in universal single phase AC motors? I'm sure Milwaukee would love to know this.
nb
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 15:55:08 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Yes, many of the 'newer' cheap ones use brushes. Not surprising at all.
Add pictures here
✖