Table saw finger remover

This link does not say what the existing technology for safer table saws is, and mentions 5 gory accidents where 2 of them appeared to me to have had poor table saw practice contributing to them.

My concern here is a trend of increasingly nannified (at expense) tools for what - so that their users can get more stupid?

Most table saw injuries can be prevented by a few simple rules for handling handling them and their usual ways of going wrong:

1: Use a push rod to avoid getting hands/fingers close to the blade. 2: If the push rod has to get really close to the blade, be prepared for it to make a bad move by 1/4 or maybe even 1/2 inch. Choose a push rod that is less damaging if it makes a bad move, and/or get as much of your body out of the way or protected as you can. For that matter, push rods need to be up to the task of touching the blade. 3: If anything going out or worse-still going in is small in size, then a kickback can turn a small piece into a serious projectile. Keep as much of your body out of the way as possible, wear protective clothing, or use a different saw. Small pieces include loose parts - such as some "knots" in wood. 4: A real table saw mounted in an honest-to-gawd table is safer than one mounted in an 18 inch square or whatever. 5: If things are getting shaky, you are probably using the wrong tool for the job. Thankfully, cheap casual-grade table saws don't have a significant rate of turning wood into serious bullets if you are cutting a large sheet of thick plywood in half - it tends to be smaller pieces that become bullets. But if things go wrong with a heavy object being sawed by a saw in a lightweight table not sufficiently firmly attached at at-least 3 points to something with high weight such as a building, then the table and the saw could go wayward. 6: Keep in mind that drinking to .05% BAC significantly increases your risk of crashing your car, despite the fact that most noted-as-alcohol-related car crashes involved at least .15% BAC. If Joe Sixpack has a beer or two and then operates a table saw... 7: Read all of the instructions and safety advice. Despite the fact that some of the safety advice is idiot-oriented, such as do not defeat safety features, do not repair while plugged-in, do not operate outdoors in a rainstorm, do not operate under influence of alcohol or sedative drugs, do not operate in a lava flow or tsunami or while riding a tornado...

My take is that idiot-proofing table saws beyond the safeguards used in the 1980's or 1990's invites evolution of idiots and idiots will continue to get badly injured.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

A good proportion of the injuries are to quite experienced users. It's all about concentration. Experts can get sloppy, too.

I finally bought one a couple of years ago. I looked at the SawStops but they wanted over twice what I paid for my Unisaw. Nope, not worth the money.

I've used them but I don't like chain saws. Don't own one.

Reply to
krw

So you got all your fingers....... Big Deal !!!! What you neglected to say is that you cut off your penis around 50 years ago. This is the reason you are still sawing your own wood instead of having your sons do it. You dont have any sons because you cut off your family maker when you were around 25 years old !!!!

Reply to
jw