T1-11 generator enclosure project

Recently finished, attached to my workshop. Comments, questions? TIA

1D10T

Simple enough. In winter you'd probably not need much ventilating. How is it for noise?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Since it's 40' from the house, not bad at all, but intolerable in the shop. Probably should have made it free-standing - the whole building 'hums'.

Reply to
1D10T

How is it to refuel and oil change?

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

I would get a cilinder head thermometer that screws on and has a wire and remote sensor, in summer you might need a fan on it to keep it from running to hot. Any enclosure keeps in heat and it makes alot of heat and is I guess air cooled, does the roof open on hinges. A 20$ Infrared Thermometer will work too.

Reply to
ransley

Very good - I'm planning something similar. Mine will include:

  • A small door so the cats can use the shed as a shelter.
  • Storage space for up to six gas cans.*
  • As long as I'm building it, maybe space for the lawn mower and a few gardening tools.

------

  • One can of gas is enough to handle the situation where some fool driver takes out a light pole. But when EVERY FREAKIN' GAS STATION for sixty miles is witout power, you better stock up before the hurricane hits.
Reply to
HeyBub

I would worry about also fire, the box is small, you need to monitor wood temp until you know its safe. Opening the roof and sides might be an idea. I know my muffler gets red hot and you are burning maybe 1 gallon an hour that is alot of heat being produced. Heat is probably the thing that stresses the generator and electronics most

Reply to
ransley

Van Chockstraw asked about refuel/oil changes.

I hope that upright 2x4 comes out of there so you can get the generator out of that shed easily.

I haven't figured it out yet- but when I get around to mine I want an awning/tent to open up so I'm not standing in the rain when servicing mine.

Glad someone asked about the noise. As long as I keep mine freestanding there is no problem-- but the thought had crossed my mind to attach it to my garage. Thanks for 'testing' that plan.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I would get a cylinder head thermometer that screws on and has a wire and remote sensor, in summer you might need a fan on it to keep it from running too hot. Any enclosure keeps in heat and it makes a lot of heat and is I guess air cooled, does the roof open on hinges. A 20$ Infrared Thermometer will work too.

Good thoughts. The roof is hinged and opens about 12" at the front edge.

Reply to
1D10T

I would worry about also fire, the box is small, you need to monitor wood temp until you know it's safe. Opening the roof and sides might be an idea. I know my muffler gets red hot and you are burning maybe 1 gallon an hour that is a lot of heat being produced. Heat is probably the thing that stresses the generator and electronics most.

Haven't run any tests on it yet, but will long before hurricane season starts, for sure.

Reply to
1D10T

The entire unit is assembled with 2 5/8" & 3" torx screws for ('easy' ?) servicing.

GOOD idea!

LOL - didn't have you in mind, but YW!

Reply to
1D10T

The motor exhaust is at the back, it will get hot, maybe even at 32f it could be to high. In summer, and you say hurricane so it will be warm where you are. Honestly id say you need a much bigger enclosure and a fan. and a few thermometers to keep an eye on it. You also need easy acess to the carb govenor adjuster unless it has a way to adjust voltage, and do the oil and fueling. The building its attached to looks about right.

Reply to
ransley

The motor exhaust is at the back, it will get hot, maybe even at 32f it could be to high. In summer, and you say hurricane so it will be warm where you are. Honestly id say you need a much bigger enclosure and a fan. and a few thermometers to keep an eye on it. You also need easy acess to the carb govenor adjuster unless it has a way to adjust voltage, and do the oil and fueling. The building its attached to looks about right.

Actually the exhaust is at the right-side of the unit, with a drop-down 'weather door'. The governor/choke/carb are accessible through a metal door inside the shop - lottsa room to get at it all. BTW - the generator frame is chained around 2 building studs for a 'bit' of security. Gas storage (5 - 5 gal steel jerry cans) is in a remote corner of the shop. I will do the fan thing after I figger a way to mount and weatherproof it. Some sort of quick-dismount thingy I suppose. I'd REALLY hate to have to rebuild a bigger box!

Reply to
1D10T

You didn't state how the generator would be run, but when in use you'll have to open the roof or front doors. I would suspect that just having the exhaust door open would eventually choke the generator.

Reply to
tnom

The doors and roof will be opened, and as Jim Elbricht said I'll look into designing an 'umbrella' of sorts.

Reply to
1D10T

I really thought I had this thing all fingered out, but you guys have been a lot of help. Keep 'em coming. Thanx!

Reply to
1D10T

How do handle the CO emissions?

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

How do handle the CO emissions?

It exhausts to the outdoors of course and there's not much else I can do about CO.

Reply to
1D10T

I built an enclosure around my generator too. It is on a corner of my deck and is made from 3/4" MDF plywood. Two sides open on hinges and the top is also on hinges and can open all the way. The exhaust was extended to go through one of the fixed sides. It has been there since

1998 and gets run under a load for fifteen minutes around the first of every month. The wiring is led into the house through PVC pipe. It will run on propane if I run out of gasoline (propane is piped using 1" black iron pipe). We lost power for 3 1/2 days two years ago. I didn't try to keep the refrigerator going because the cost of gas would have been a lot more than the frozen food that I lost.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---