T-stat for heater

Rats, hit enter before adding this:
http://www.eia.doe.gov/electricity/epm/table5_6_a.html
ransley wrote:
[snip]

I checked my last bill and found .073 here. That's the actual amount (total charge / usage) no "plus tax and fees" nonsense.
BTW, that's in one of the few Texas cities where you're NOT allowed to choose your electric company.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Is that COST- what you pay, divided by KWH to determine exactly what You pay? I Pay 0.191c in Chicago as a large Commercial account, non commercial are about .04c higher. Ny and Ca have rates of 0.25 and up. So 0.73 I still say is BS, its what you pay after taxes etc, not the Rate.

Sorry you said 0.073, or seven point 3 cents per KWH, and I still pay near twenty cents per KWH in Chicago and my tennants get screwed to the tune of near twenty six cents per KWH. Remember electricity is traded every second for watts, So I dont believe you pay anywhere near seven cents a KWH when I pay near Twenty, and Transmission lines are all that make trade easy.
ransley wrote:
[snip]

I checked that bill again. Total amount: $92.57 Usage: 1266 KWH Dividing that gives 0.073120063 (rounds to .073)
Electricity here is made with natural gas. There is a lot of that here.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

I am amazed, I see Illinois with Com Edm is being ripped off since we are maybe 65% Neuclear.

Yea sure I bet, with Tax, the FULL BILL , you dont know how to read your bill or what you pay. What do you pay and what KWH do you use. 0.07 total cost is non existant in the US, some inland areas are near . 25kwh

That assumes it runs and is actually heating 24/7. He's only going to run it
A - at night
B - only enough to warm up an enclosure for the cats. If that's a washing machine size enclosure, the heater won't be running most of the time even if it's uninsulated.
I've done similar and used just one of the small 1200 watt heaters that comes with a thermostat and a safety switch in the bottom to cut it off if it tip over. The only problem is that the thermostat is typically not calibrated and could be moved by a cat.
The line voltage thermostat is the next solution I was looking at using. I only need the settup when I'm away for a few days and I leave the cat in the garage with a box settup. You can get the thermostat at HD, online, Ebay, etc.
Location is unknown, but if 30-50 is close to the worst range, just providing an enclosure of reasonable size to accomodate the cats, small opening, insulation underneath and around, bedding inside, out of the wind, etc, might be all that's needed. Several cats will keep each other warm to some extent. If it can get to 15, then it's another story.
>Consider a

That might be a better solution too, especially if it's not the 15F environment.
On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 13:15:39 -0800, ransley wrote:

I don't like the idea of pets on top of electricity... particularly not pets with sharp claws :-)
We run a 250W heat lamp in the back porch for the dogs and cats at night - it stays quite toasty under it / nearby, even though the rest of the room that they're in will cool down to about 40F (and it's got down to -26F outside some nights recently). Cost is somewhere between $5 and $10 per month to just leave it running each night.
I'm not sure if there's a good way of running two though, such that one's normally running, but if it fails the other will kick in - that would be handy to avoid frozen critters :-)
cheers
Jules
On Jan 4, 1:46pm, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Charles Bishop) wrote:

A couple of cats in a small enclosure shouldnt need any heat at those temps. Ours snuggle up in their cat condo down to the teens. The secret is to not ave a lot of airspace they have to warm up.
Jimmie

Thats the best answer.
On 1/4/2011 12:46 PM, Charles Bishop wrote:

I've had a feral cat living around my place for years. Temps here will get down below -35 deg. That's minus 35 deg. The cat not only survives it thrives. Plus 30 deg to an outside cat is tropical. If it will make you feel better build an insulated enclosure with a entrance protecting the interior from the wind. The cats will be happy and you can find something of worth to be concerned about.
LdB

I found a cat near dead on log, took him home and he went in the basement. After over a week of feeding him like a king, getting him fat, I got him out and I built him a house, but he would not use it even in a winter of -20f and 25 -35 mph winds on a lake, even with it full of food. The next summers he was always around to say Hi but never came within 50ft

The Pussy, makes heat that keeps you warm all winter.
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Charles Bishop) wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I'll try the insulated enclosure first, then see if they need the additional heat.
Charles