T-stat for heater

I just checked: for our "non-load-controlled" service we get the first

500kWH per month at 8.8c/kWH and anything over that at 7.8c/kWH. The load- controlled service (i.e. all the baseboards, dryer and water heater) are at 4.7c/kWH regardless of how much (or little) we use.

The service fee seems to be a flat $25 per month, then state taxes of $6 and some 'renewable energy' fee that's linked to how much we use (about $15 for November)

"non-load-controlled" service worked out as 691kWH for November, and the load-controlled service at 2025kWH.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

08, im sure thats before all the taxes and surcharges. divide kwh used by the total cost
Reply to
ransley

It's also a state average; some areas will likely be higher, some lower.

Reply to
krw
[snip]

I checked my last bill and found .073 here. That's the actual amount (total charge / usage) no "plus tax and fees" nonsense.

BTW, that's in one of the few Texas cities where you're NOT allowed to choose your electric company.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I'll bet no one sells *discount* electricity to keep cats warm

*outdoors*.

I think the whole thing is a waste of money and natural resources, but I'm posting just to say that humans should not sleep on a heating pad. My mother's came with a warning not to do that, and indeed once she rolled over in her sleep, ended up on top of it, and got burned. It took quite a while to heal and I guess could have been much worse if she had slept that way longer.

Reply to
mm

Jumping on here, no longer have previous posts. I saw this item and thought of this thread.

It's a thermostatically controlled "outlet". Might work, might not?

The Thermo Cube is a unique, patented electrical device that plugs into a standard 15 amp electrical outlet and turns power on automatically according to outside air temperature, saving money by using power only when... Read more

leonard hofstadter

I think the OP wanted to put a timer on it too.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Strange. I don't see any mention of an included temperature probe - if it's used indoors, how does it know what the outside air temperature is? :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Is that COST- what you pay, divided by KWH to determine exactly what You pay? I Pay 0.191c in Chicago as a large Commercial account, non commercial are about .04c higher. Ny and Ca have rates of 0.25 and up. So 0.73 I still say is BS, its what you pay after taxes etc, not the Rate.

Reply to
ransley

Sorry you said 0.073, or seven point 3 cents per KWH, and I still pay near twenty cents per KWH in Chicago and my tennants get screwed to the tune of near twenty six cents per KWH. Remember electricity is traded every second for watts, So I dont believe you pay anywhere near seven cents a KWH when I pay near Twenty, and Transmission lines are all that make trade easy.

Reply to
ransley
[snip]

I checked that bill again. Total amount: $92.57 Usage: 1266 KWH Dividing that gives 0.073120063 (rounds to .073)

Electricity here is made with natural gas. There is a lot of that here.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I am amazed, I see Illinois with Com Edm is being ripped off since we are maybe 65% Neuclear.

Reply to
ransley

BTW, I looked at my bill today. $.08/kWh for 1800kWh, + $5 tax.

Reply to
krw

Hence, the part of my post you stripped: Might work, might not?

Reply to
leonard hofstadter

Well, it was just a comment that they claim it monitors *outdoor* temperature; I suspect that it does no such thing, and just monitors the temperature immediately surrounding the device itself. The manufacturers themselves claim that it monitors outside air temp though, so it's not Amazon's screw-up if that's not actually true.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson