T&P relief valve - nowhere to drain?

Page 10 of 13

Putz

I know you are but what am I?
Maybe when you sober up you'll come back and read your own posts. Pretty silly there drunken, dancing, monkey boi. I post and you dance. *It never fails*.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

I know you can't but what am I?
Maybe when you sober up you'll come back and read your own posts. Pretty silly there drunken, dancing, monkey boi. I post and you dance. *It never fails*.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here
Taking it above the valve means installing in with a trap.

Probably highr than 98%.
David wrote:

Normally, the T&P should never open.
The single most frequent cause of discharge is excessive pressure caused by thermal expansion. If you are on city water where pressure is very high and you have a PRV (regulator) , the expansion of water as the tank heats has nowhere to go. The pressure builds until the T&P valve opens.
The solution is relatively painless: http://www.zurn.com/pages/catalog.asp?ProductGroupID &OperationID The XT model expansion tank is added to the piping on the Cold inlet to the tank.
I've just skimmed over this topic. There are a host of considerations regarding service pressure and PRV's that may need to be looked at.
As for where to drain the discharge, some jurisdictions will permit discharge to open air outside (pipe thru wall).
Jim

Unless, it's subject to freezing conditions.
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

What on earth would freezing conditions have to do with 180-degree water?
HeyBub wrote:

Suppose there is a slight leak from the valve and the discharge is outside. The outside portion could become blocked with ice. If the T&P valve should really have to do its job it can't because of the ice jam.

And can cause a line blockage. Anyway, it's against code!

freakin'
Whether their designed too or not, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. You've never saw one that was corroded because it had a slow leak? You're showing that you have no experience with PT valves.

Design and "what happens in the field" is sometimes two completely different things.
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Goddamn it! Building codes specifically REQUIRE P&T valves to be vented outside (or an approved alternate - which never includes UP).

I agree they sometimes leak. Just like a water faucet sometimes leaks. What makes you assume I've never seen a leaky one? How did you reach that conclusion?

Right. Sometimes fail-safe systems fail by failing to fail safe. Sometimes fail-safe systems fail because a cretin installed them - as in not venting a P&T valve to the outside.
on 9/5/2007 5:17 PM HeyBub said the following:

What do I do in my house? The Water Heater is in the basement and there is no exit for a pipe that is not 6' below ground. The best I can do is to have the T&P pipe dump into a pail with a sump pump that will get it above ground. The Water Softener suffers the same restriction and it is across the cellar from the heater. This house was approved by an inspector.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

That'll work. And perhaps code in your area allows UP.
If the pipe goes up, then a small leak could allow water to enter the valve from the wrong direction. This back-up water could corrode the valve, rendering it ineffective and non-functional. That's the problem with UP.
The purpose of the valve is not to prevent your carpet getting soaked; it's purpose is to prevent death from explosion, scalding from a ruptured tank, or a hole through two floors and the roof when the tank takes off like a rocket.
Here's an example of ONE LITER of water, under pressure, blowing its container 300 feet into the air! http://users.bigpond.net.au/mechtoys/waterrocket.html
Here's an exploding water heater that did $750,000 worth of damage. http://www.theplumber.com/explodingwaterheater.html
The ruckus from an exploding tank will also disturb your cat.

Now you say UP is fine...
Geez, make up your mind...

valve
it's

You're the one that posted that up is ok as long as it isn't exposed to freezing weather. Of course you are wrong but what do you care.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

sump
You like posting lies... must be because you tell so many.

the