synthetic motor oil

A lot of mechanics will look at the plugs when doing a "major" service like that and throw in new ones if they are needed - at no extra labour charge. For a good customer, some dealers will even throw in the cost of the plugs as part of the "deal".

Reply to
clare

Around here the dealer even charges for the rags the mechanic uses.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I have had cars with ECUs in them since the end of the Carter administration and the code nailed the problem virtually every time. Maybe I am just careful enough not to "short something fooling around" so I didn't ever blow an ECU. I have been in the computer biz since 1965 so I am not intimidated by something as simple as the processor(s) in a car.

As far as the user is concerned, it is fixed.

You still need to get to the filler neck ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

The belt should have been done by then, hence my point.

Reply to
gfretwell

They also did crank shaft seals and a laundry list of other little things. They really have to do some selling to get me to pay $1000 for a belt job my local mechanic quoted $400 for. I suppose I may still have the receipt here somewhere but I thought it would be just about anything I could think of.

Reply to
gfretwell

They always do that (shop charge, environmental charge etc) I made them throw all of that into the grand. I still had to pay the tax tho. You CAN wheel and deal with the service writer.

Reply to
gfretwell

They all used to just include that in the price as the cost of doing business. Some marketing a=hole came up with the idea to add 3% to the bill for that stuff.

In parts of Italy some restaurant started adding a charge for using the plates and silverware called Coperto.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Generally the writer hasn't got much wiggle room, but as the service MANAGER I did.

Reply to
clare

The dealers around here seem to let the service writers and even the salesmen throw in oil change chits, car washes and all sorts of other things that are a minimal cost to the dealer. I did take a bit of selling to agree to $600 more than the guy up at the end of my street but I did feel better having the dealer doing it. They did sweeten the pot tho with a lot of other stuff. I think the only thing I really talked them out of was the shop charges. It also helped that I was off season and they had a lot of guys sitting around polishing their wrenches.

Reply to
gfretwell

I always thought they were mad without any petroleum. I sort of had the idea they were made from all vegetable oils, or other plant products. Guess I was wrong!

How can oil be made from natural gas? I cant picture that!

Please explain what this means. POA is a type of horse. (Pony of America) Estter is a day when everyone dyes eggs and goes to church (but spelled wrong).

Reply to
Paintedcow

In chemistry, esters are chemical compounds derived from an acid (organic or inorganic) in which at least one -OH (hydroxyl) group is replaced by an -O-alkyl (alkoxy) group. Usually, esters are derived from a carboxylic acid and an alcohol.

I would assume petroleum oil additives...for POA?

Reply to
bob_villain

Natural gas is just VERY LOW VISCOSITY oil. Made of the same building blocks but arranged differently. Making synthetic oil is just piling specific blocks in a particular pattern when you get fown to the basics - and it doesn't matter where the blocks come from or how they were piled before.

Sorry, it's Pao and is short for Polyalphaolefins PAG is polyalkylene Glycol, POE is Polyolester , AKA Ester oil. (sorry I mis-spelled that one too!!!!)

Reply to
clare

Are they genetically modified?

Reply to
Tekkie®

I had one where I ran out of coolant because of a blown lower hose, (you don't want to know the story). I repaired it and found the block was cracked. Never leaked, gave it to a destitute friend and he put another 150k on it before crashing it.

Reply to
Tekkie®