synthetic motor oil

Page 4 of 5

need to change oil OR top it up!!

This was before the coking ; just an example as to cite. It was around 1975 IIRC. IIRC Scramsoil was the only synthetic at that time. My memory foggy.. .
--
Tekkie

sedan, automatic trans, 225 slant six - a real "ceam puff" with low mileage - somewhere around 65000 miles as I recall, but the valves were just a bit noisy so he decided I should adjust the valves for him. When we got the valve cover bolts removed it took a rubber mallet to get the rocker cover off, and you could hardly find the rockers and valve springs for all the crud in there. It looked like the only oil change it had ever had was the one done just before my brother bought it. We scraped out as much crud as we could, then washed it down with kerosene and I adjusted the valves. We changed the oil before he left, but in hindsight we should likely have run it for about 20 minutes and changed it again (and mabee even run it with kerosene in the crankcase for a short while). He didn't make the 10 mles home before the oil light came on and the engine made a very large rattle. When I pulled the motor out the next week, the oil pickup screen was totally plugged with crud that had washed down from the rocker area.. Not too much was salvageable.
Found out ONE thing that could kill a slant six - - -.

I had one where I ran out of coolant because of a blown lower hose, (you don't want to know the story). I repaired it and found the block was cracked. Never leaked, gave it to a destitute friend and he put another 150k on it before crashing it.
--
Tekkie

That wasn't all she did wrong. How was the oil light on?
My buddy ran a 65 mopar 50k on factory oil and the problem was stuck lifters. After a few tries with mouse milk he paid a guy to pull the lifters out and clean them. OK after that.
On Wed, 03 Feb 2016 18:37:11 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Mouse Milk ? WTF is that?
By the way, what is synthetic oil made from?
On Wed, 03 Feb 2016 21:05:21 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

General term for any of those "miracle in a can" things they sell people
On Wed, 03 Feb 2016 23:30:51 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

a very fine penetrant that seems to be known only to aircraft mechanics. I don't know the manudacturer offhand but I'll try to look it up. It is available from Aircraft Spruce. Also see www.mousemilk.com You can buy it from Anazon (Amazon.com product link shortened)
It appears to be an unusual penetrating oil that is not effected by heat. "Mouse Milk Oil is Recommended by AiResearch, Continental, Lycoming, Beechcraft, and Cessna for use in freeing turbine waste gate shafts." From their advertising:: "Mouse Milk Penetrating Oil. Muscle in a hustle... for speedy help in the removal of rusted and frozen studs. MOUSE MILK frees up cables, slides, linkages and bolts. MOUSE MILK is unequalled wherever a lubricant or penetrant is required. MOUSE MILK will dissolve rust, relieve friction and resist oxidation. MOUSE MILK has amazing creeping ability. Frozen nuts and bolts can be easily loosened and removed after allowing MOUSE MILK to creep down the threads and break up the rust and corrosion"
It's a bit over a buck an ounce in US funds - so definitely not cheap.
On Wed, 03 Feb 2016 21:05:21 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

gas) and some from vegetable oil
On Wednesday, February 3, 2016 at 10:06:30 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Crude oil, exactly the same stuff regular oil is made from. The process is slightly different though and the mix of "anes" is much smaller.
On 02/04/2016 2:25 PM, TimR wrote:

AFAIK all the current commercial motor oils are processed crude as noted but I'd say it's more than a "just slightly" different process.
There are fully-synthetic oils purposes but they're far more expensive yet...

Pennzoil Pure Platinum Plus is made from natural gas. Most of the other synthetic oils are made from a blend of conventional and very refined oils. Castrol was sued by Mobil for false advertisement for their blends but the judge sided with Castrol.
On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 22:01:55 -0000 (UTC), badgolferman

petroleum hydrocarbons of one sort or another except for the recent "green" product made of reconstituted vegatable oil.
The feed stock is broken down to it's molecular level and then recombined to form a consistent (engineered) product.
There are also higher end POA ans Estter synthetic lubricants
On Thu, 04 Feb 2016 17:56:04 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I always thought they were mad without any petroleum. I sort of had the idea they were made from all vegetable oils, or other plant products. Guess I was wrong!
How can oil be made from natural gas? I cant picture that!

Please explain what this means. POA is a type of horse. (Pony of America) Estter is a day when everyone dyes eggs and goes to church (but spelled wrong).
On Friday, February 5, 2016 at 3:51:48 AM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

In chemistry, esters are chemical compounds derived from an acid (organic or inorganic) in which at least one -OH (hydroxyl) group is replaced by an -O-alkyl (alkoxy) group. Usually, esters are derived from a carboxylic acid and an alcohol.
I would assume petroleum oil additives...for POA?
On Fri, 05 Feb 2016 03:50:12 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Natural gas is just VERY LOW VISCOSITY oil. Made of the same building blocks but arranged differently. Making synthetic oil is just piling specific blocks in a particular pattern when you get fown to the basics - and it doesn't matter where the blocks come from or how they were piled before.

PAG is polyalkylene Glycol, POE is Polyolester , AKA Ester oil. (sorry I mis-spelled that one too!!!!)

Are they genetically modified?
--
Tekkie

On 02/04/2016 4:01 PM, badgolferman wrote: ...

Interesting. Hadn't known that; never look at Pennzoil, actually other than for the large tractors don't see there's much need/point for anything we've got...

I don't have the history what she did... It could have had the original break-in oil still there. WE towed it to our bay and I don't know the end result.
--
Tekkie

On Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 3:22:39 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I was at the BMW parts counter few weeks ago. Fellow came in to get their BMW branded oil, $9 a quart. Mobil one costs me about half that and works for me. There is a difference between synthetic and conventional. Synthetic allows for a longer change interval, BMW for example is at 10K now, they have been as high as 15K a few years ago. I change it at about 8K. Beyond the difference between synthetic and dino, I agree that obsessing over it is nuts. Like you say, all the cars I've ever had, not one met it's demise through anything that could be related to oil. Now if you put dino oil in it and run it for 50K miles, that could be a different story.