Switching Land Line Phone Companies

Is it true that if you switch to a local mom & pop outfit, Verizon still has to correct infrastructure problems such as static that emanates from outside the house?

If so, how does this work? Do you complain to your new local phone provider who then contacts Verizon?

Will Verizon still deliver phone directories to you even though you have dumped them? Thanks.

Reply to
Murriel

You address your complaints directly to the new phone company, they, in turn contact Verizon to initialize a repair request. The advantage to this method is that you won't have to hear Verizon rolling on the floor laughing at you, and in truth, you'll get service from Verizon, just as soon as ALL of their regular customers are taken care of, or hell freezes over, whichever comes first. I'd recommend voip

Reply to
RBM

Well, as far as I can see, Verizon over copper is the worse service I have ever seen. My line here in western NC has so much 60 Hz longitudinal hum and clicking an popping. I never saw this in IL. BTW, Verizon has just announced they sold their land based line business to Frontier. I don't know anything about them, but I don't think it can get too much worse. Also, VOIP over my Verizon DSL wouldn't work. There is far to much slow downs in speed and at times, the service just seems to stop for a few seconds.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Yes, if your "mom & pop outfit" uses Verizon's facilities.

Yes. You deal SOLELY with your new phone company - for service orders, repair requests - everything. They, in turn, pass the issue to Verizon.

Many "mom and pop" telcos keep banker's hours, live answering calls only between 8-5, Monday through Friday, whether for billing inquiries, service orders or repair reports.

That's hard to say and probably depends on the provisions of their contract with your new "mom and pop" telco.

With competition in the directory business, many (most?) "incumbent" telcos quit allowing their technicians to carry the grandfathered directory on their van for delivery to customers lest the competing company/companies cry "foul" and require the techs to deliver EVERYONE's directory.

A simple call to the directory company of your choice should have any number of FREE books on your porch in a few days.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Hell finally froze over and Verizon fixed my phone line. It only took seven years. Sounds like it would have taken longer with a mom and pop company. Mine used to go out whenever it got damp and when it rained it would make long-distance calls and call 911 repeatedly. I cancelled my long distance but they wouldn't let me cancel 911. One time the sheriff showed up in his front-wheel drive cruizer when it was pouring down rain and I don't know how he even made it down the dirt road in his car. After many complaints they finally fixed the 911 problem and then it started calling 611 every time it rained. At 95 cents per call it added up quickly. They would not let me cancel 611. Now when it rains I can actually use my dialup service. I managed to have all the bogus calls removed from my bills with Verizon. I don't know if it would or would not have been as easy with another provider. Verizon stinks but it could be worse.

Reply to
Ulysses

Heh!

I used to get the cops knocking on my door about once a month in response to a 911-hangup. After about a year, the problem was finally traced to a splice on the cable. Some do-bads had tapped into our incoming fax line and were using it to make local calls (there was no long-distance capability). Evidently they were trying to call Honduras or Patagonia or somewhere whose international calling prefix was +910 and missed.

Reply to
HeyBub

That's the sad truth. Lots of folks have had nightmare stories with whatever carrier they have, but just when you believe that it couldn't get worse...

Reply to
RBM

Apparently this 911 calling due to a bad connection or short is common. How it manages to get the right dialing combination is quite amazing. I had it happen to me here in NJ. First, the phone service was out one morning. Before calling Verizon, I thought I'd just wait a couple hours and see if it came back. It did. But that afternoon, the police showed up due to a 911 hangup call. Before Verizon fixed it later that day, the police showed up again.

Reply to
trader4

Apparently this 911 calling due to a bad connection or short is common. How it manages to get the right dialing combination is quite amazing. I had it happen to me here in NJ. First, the phone service was out one morning. Before calling Verizon, I thought I'd just wait a couple hours and see if it came back. It did. But that afternoon, the police showed up due to a 911 hangup call. Before Verizon fixed it later that day, the police showed up again.

First it was 911, then 411. Now, if I could get it do dial 611 then maybe I'd be getting somewhere. When I complained about the long-distance calls they told me that if I wasn't making them then someone was tapping into my phone line--at 3 am in pouring down rain. Right. Never mind that I told them the wires were crossed (shorted) and I could hear other people talking on other phone lines. And never mind that it was not possible to even use the phone line. At least not intentionally.

Reply to
Ulysses

I got mixed up up there and said 611 when I meant 411 (Information). 611 is repair, or used to be. Now it's more like "we are going to put you on hold for 20 minutes and try to sell you a bunch of services for your phone that doesn't work instead of connecting you directly to repair."

Reply to
Ulysses