Switching GFCI devices

Page 2 of 2

What brand and model number GFCI?
"John Gilmer" wrote in message

1) I picket it up at a BIG BOX hardware store (Lowe's)
2) Brand name seems to be "Cooper Wiring Devices." VGFS15V-M-L
3) Made in China (Red China, I suppose)
4) The device itself isn't marked with a model number, etc. (I guess it's marketed thru several different companies.)

The electronics within the GFI are not designed to be continuously attacked by the resulting electrical spikes each time the switch is turned on and off.

Where exactly, did you read that?
When I wired my bath 25 years ago I put the outlet and lights (which had outlets on them) on a switch. The circuit is Switch -> GFCI -> Lights. This was done so the outlets on the lights would be GFCI protected. It has worked well for 25 years with no false trips.

Rich. wrote:

You are close but what I'm thinking may be the reason could have to do with the way a GFCI works. If you short the neutral and ground on a GFCI outlet, the GFCI will trip. If power were to accidentally energize the neutral on the circuit that the GFCI outlet is on and the power to the electronic control is off, the outlet would not trip. A GFCI will trip under all fault conditions, not just power to ground. You should try to trip one by shorting the neutral to ground and you'll see what I mean.
TDD
On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 17:07:50 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Can't happen. That is what breakers are for.

Metspitzer wrote:

I've seen stranger things happen. Things like nails and screws through wires causing extremely weird short circuits. Remember, a breaker is for protecting the wiring, not people.
TDD