Switching from Dish to DirecTV. Are there small after market remotes?

I am finally upgrading my old 1-tv Dish Network system, either to their one receiver-two tv system, or to a DirecTV 'two tv-two receivers' system.
What I am wondering about is whether either of these systems are operable by after market SMALL remotes as I cannot stand using the huge remotes that come with the system. I'm only looking for basic remote features, channel up/down, volume, mute, and guide features...I just want a small remote.
The problem is that if you look at the list of which SAT receivers the after market remotes control...you never see an entry for 'DirecTV' but they do always say Dish Network. I suspect the DirecTV units are Hughes boxes, but I'm not sure. I have called DirecTV several times to ask them which 'brand' their boxes are, but its not possible to get an answer from them.....seriously.
Also, the 2 tv-one dual receiver that dish offers uses a uhf signal for the 'remote' 2nd tv, which has to shoot its beam through walls, etc.. Are there small after market remotes for the 2nd tv's in these systems?
Sorry about being somewhat off-topic here but I know this group has a lot of folks who probably might actually answer my question.
Thanks
Brian
usethisone2007 wrote:

Have you tried over in alt.dbs.directv? That is where the experts for that brand hang out. (For Dish, it is alt.dbs. echostar)
-- aem sends...
Thanks.

On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 22:31:08 -0700 (PDT), usethisone2007

You are going to be so sorry you ever got Direct Tv. They have has over 22,000 complaintys in the last year alone at the BBB.
<Direct TV Not> wrote :

As someone who's lived in houses with both systems, I'll take Dishnetwork any day. If only for the fact that Direct TV's onscreen program guide sucks. Also, the channels are ordered in a more sensible fashion, and while viewing the program guide, the current channel gets more screen space, too. I truly dislike Direct TV. For many reasons.
--
Steve M

if you call dish to cancel service they may give you a sweet deal to stay. with the economic collapse of our countrys homes, they are losing subscribers and desperate to hang on to as many as possible
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:53:35 -0400, "mcsteve"

When I was canceling DirecTV service I kept thinking about the fact that I might consider subscribing again someday, and would think about the difficulty of getting out of it again (I'm still getting their junk email, and they're ignoring unsubscribe requests).

Mark Lloyd

only dish has a 2 output receiver that saves the extra receiver fee. as far as i know.