Switched sockets for ligh

Mat and Suzy:

MA> My new-to-me 1984 house seems to have very few switched sockets for use wit

MA> free-standing lamps (as an alternative to the recessed fittings that the MA> previous owner had a passion for). All of them appear to be on permanently

MA> top and bottom socket.

So far, "normal". BTW, the "socket" is usually called a "duplex outlet" or just plain "outlet".

MA> However.... today I was switching out a dimmer and a couple of sockets, and MA> noticed that there are two hot wires at each socket in the room in question

MA> The copper tabs on the sockets were in tact. So this is how my reasoning MA> went....

The two hot wires (presumably black - would have been nicer if one was red or blue for troubleshooting/verification) may be a 'continuation': black feed (from source) comes in and attaches to the top outlet, bottom outlet also has a black which continues on to the next outlet in the chain. Whites follow same pattern.

MA> 1 the second wire indicates that the wiring is probably already in place t

MA> support a switched approach

Possibly.

MA> 2 the fact that the tabs were not broken and both hot wires were attached MA> to the socket, must mean that the other end of the switched wire is not MA> connected (otherwise the light would be on permanently)

Or else you have a switch which doesn't do anything.

MA> 3 I then looked in the light switch box and found several black wires MA> joined in a nut to permanent live. I concluded therefore that they were se

MA> up like that because the original owners did not want them switched, but if MA> I wanted them thus, I could disconnect from this nut and reconnect to the MA> switched wire.

Possibly.

MA> So experts, how am I doing so far?

I'm following your logic anyway. :)

MA> In fact, the room I was looking at does not really need any switched MA> sockets, but I was interested because the same logic might apply to the MA> problem rooms.

Argh!!!

MA> Does this make any sense? And for a house of this era, would it be likely MA> that the wires to allow switched operation should be in place to allow me MA> like me to use them with a few adjustments to connections either end?

I wouldn't necessarily go with the assumption this was the way wiring was done c. 1984. Could have been a specification of whomever the house was built, or the way that particular construction company, architect, or electrican did things. Any neighbours with the same vintage houses?

  • "Can I have one of those chocolates?" said Tom, candidly.
Reply to
barry martin