Switch Replace Question

Page 1 of 2
The main light switch in my bathroom was less dependable. Some times I'd turn it on, but the lights would not go on. So, figured to replace it. It shares a box with a power socket that I used for shaver, and hair dryer.
Turn the power off, confirm with a EMF "voltage" detector. Pull the cover plate off. Turns out one wire to the switch is broken. #14 solid wire. So, I strip it back, and put it on the new switch. Move the other wire. Now I'm wondering if I oughta just left the old switch.
It's done now, and the switch cost about a dollar. It was old stock, so not like I went out and bought one. Sigh. I find the strangest things to worry me.
On 8/20/2013 5:48 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, you could have reused the old. Hang on to the old in case the newer one fails.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

What are you worried about? Switches wear out and that one was probably ready to go. Discard it so you don't have to keep track of where you put it. Be glad it was only $1, my last switch was $22. : )

Thanks, I do believe I'll do it just like that.
On 8/20/2013 7:28 PM, Bill wrote:

EMF is magnetic field, not voltage. You need current for an EMF meter to register. Electrostatic indicator is probably what you have.
Greg

EMF
Music ==== EMF (band), a British band "EMF", a bonus track on EMF's album Schubert Dip E.M.F. (album), a 1983 album by GG Allin English Music Festival, a British music festival
Organizations ========== European Museum Forum, an international not-for-profit museum organisation founded in 1977 Educational Media Foundation, a not-for-profit broadcasting organization Electronic Music Foundation, a not-for-profit organization E-M-F Company (Everitt-Metzger-Flanders), an early American automobile manufacturer Energy Modeling Forum, a forum for discussing issues in energy and the environment European Metalworkers' Federation, a federation of unions European Maritime Force, a multinational naval force Electromagnetic Field (Festival), a UK technical festival
Science and technology ================== Electromotive force, the origin of voltage in electrical devices Eclipse Modeling Framework, a modeling framework based on Eclipse software Electromagnetic field, a physical field Enhanced Metafile, a Microsoft Windows graphics file format
I figured, EMF would chime in on this. Every mofo.
And I was in the sub African jungle, and died of EMF, Elephant massive fart.
So, I baked cookies and talked to EMF, Elderly Mama Friend.
And the list goes on....
On 8/20/2013 11:04 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Definitions are somewhat tricky. An EMF meter uses a coil or hall effect sensor to pick up varying magnetic field. Show me a EMF meter that doesn't do this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMF_measurement
Greg

I do have voltage detectors, and EMF meters. EMF voltage detector might be OK, but I'm not used to seeing that terminology. I also have a fox and hound, with the inductive pickup, except it's not really an inductive pickup, but uses an antenna electrostatic pickup. Electrostatic induced might be OK.
Greg
Sounds like you know your electrons <waves!>.
What's your take on this gadget? http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-voltage-tester-97218.html
I've noticed that sometimes it detects, and sometimes it doesn't. On wires known to be live.
On 8/20/2013 8:34 PM, gregz wrote:

I don't know about the HF, and would not depend on anything from there that I was going to stick my fingers in.
I and about 20 others at the plant I worked for carried a similar instrument. http://www.valuetesters.com/fluke-1ac-a1-ii-voltage-detector.html
If possiable I tried a meter to check the voltage before I touched the wiring. Most of the time we would have power on the circuit, test it and while the thing was indicating voltage, cut off the breaker and see if it went out. Then back on and off again to make sure. Sort of the old double test method.
In most home enviroments they work ok. In the industrial plant there are often so many wires in conduits inducing voltage they may show a voltage where there is not a direct connection to the power source.

I can believe that. I have an older model Fluke. It always seemed reliable, and had the tap test feature. I bought another no contact cheap device at The Home Depot, but it always seemed to be on, and drain the battery. I also have a contact model, that also gives voltage level.
Greg

EMF = Electro Motive Force = voltage. (More or less) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromotive_force There can be no magnetic field unless a current is flowing.
There is an associated electric field which can be detected. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_field This can be present even if no current is flowing

There are only two things to worry about, either you are healthy or you are sick. If you are healthy, then there is nothing to worry about. But if you are sick there are only two things to worry about, either you will get well or you will die. If you get well, then there is nothing to worry about. But if you die there are only two things to worry about, either you will go to heaven or to hell. If you go to heaven, then there is nothing to worry about. And if you to go hell, you'll be so darn busy shaking hands with your friends you won't have time to worry!
From: http://www.quoteland.com
Oh, that's going to keep me awake for days, worrying about all that.
On 8/20/2013 9:43 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

once i am certain a box is dead, i short it out intentially....
a once in a blue moon shower of sparks is better than getting shocked.
althoiugh getting shocked s no big deal

could be live., unless I have it either physically and electrically disconnected or mechanically locked down.

Many years ago a neighbor asked me to help him replace the light outside his entry door. He had taken the old one off and couldn't get the new one attached to the mounting bracket. I went over and the first thing I asked him was if he had turned off the power. He said yes.
I disconnected the lousy way he had joined the wires, fixed that and then mounted the fixture. When I was done I asked him to turn the power back on. He reached inside the front door and flipped the light switch.
After that I learned to be just a bit more specific.
On 8/21/2013 9:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

All I do is flip the light switch off when I change a fixture as long as I have control of the switch which does open the hot wire to the fixture. One thing I've done for a half century of working on electrical circuits it to treat everything like it's energized, even if I know it's off, especially if it's high voltage. I had an electrical superintendent I was working with reach into a 4,160 volt transformer we were installing with an old wooden hot stick borrowed from the guys at the power plant and I saw his hair stand on end, he got a little tingle. The best thing to have when doing electrical wiring 120-277 is a pocket voltage detector, don't guess especially at the top top a 12 foot step ladder. ^_^
TDD