Switch plate not flush to wall

I have an wall switch that sticks out about 1/8" at one corner. The wall the switch is in is very thin and I think the box is probably too long. I want to find a deep switch plate to compensate. Any suggestions?
John
On Dec 1, 7:24 pm, "New & Improved - N/F John"

Grind the box flush.
Hey wait...if the wall is too "thin" for the box, why does only one corner stick out? Wouldn't it stick out all the way around?
New & Improved - N/F John wrote:

I'd bust the box out and use an old work box. You can get plastic ones now that are very shallow but have a piece that curves around behind the wall to provide the required volume for wiring.
http://www.carlon.com/Master%20Catalog/Zip%20Boxes_2B1.pdf
Take a look at the B117RSW... I have a couple laying around for just this purpose; I have a couple narrow walls with thin paneling not drywall, and some of the boxes have become loose over the years. This seems to be the easiest way to fix this without taking the paneling down. Busting up an old metal single gang box without destroying the drywall or enlarging the hole is tricky, but can be done... BTDT
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Deep switch plates are made by Mulberry Metal Products, but good luck trying to find one somewhere. Your best bet is to go to an electrical supply company and see if they will order you one.
It is way faster and easier to use a dremel type multitool with a grinding wheel. Believe it or not, it is easy to mark a line on the box (or use your imagination) and follow the line around and "cut"all the way throught the metal, cutting out a sliver. Tape paper all around the wall b/c its messy, and be careful when laying down a still revolving tool. As with any job, the more durable fiber-reinforced grinding wheels save you a lot in time, effort, and money

-
I couldn't live these days w/o a multitool. A little or a lot of sanding grinding cutting polishing, etc. You can get them for a song.

-
um, what I meant to write was cut-off wheel, not grinding wheel. The cut-off wheel actually is grinding to cut through, its an abrasive not a toothed operation.
-
Way faster and easier to grind the box than to spend 2 bucks on a deep cover plate?
I don't think so.
Most electrical supply companies will have deep cover plates. I know if you can get them at Home depot. A phone call would be a good way to find out.

If it were me, I'd install it correctly in the first place, otherwise I'd fix the bad ones, or then, I'd prefer all the covers look the same.
-
A phone call to Home Depot will give you accurate, helpful information? what color is the sky in your world?
nate

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 00:24:39 GMT, "New & Improved - N/F John"

Get a piece of nice Oak or Walnut and make one on your jig saw. Use a router on the edges and cut the hole. Use a nice finish on it and you got something special. Of course you could just take some 1/8" paneling and make a piece to fit behind a standard plate. OR Apply some joint compound and feather it around the switch. OR grind off the box. OR the simplest method, just put some caulk behind it, and use a little touch up paint after it drys. OR Just ignore it !!!!