Swipe Card Lock for my House

Hello Everyone,

I need to install a swipe card lock for the front door of my house. I do not know of any good models or much about these locks period. I was wondering if anyone could tell me of any reliable models. I need one that is reliable, would look good on a front door, and could handle many people using it on a daily basis.

Does anyone have one of these locks on their door?

The only model I have been able to find is:

. I don't know much about it however and wont purchase it unless I wont find any better alternatives.

If anyone could help me out or give me some input I would much appreciate it.

Reply to
Aleksey

there are ones that detect the presence of a key fob like device, get near the lock it opens instantly, and for those without a fob a touchpad can give them access too.

Reply to
hallerb

is:

I don't

Absolutely you want a non contact proximity card / fob type system and mount the reader head relatively low so with the card or fob in your pocket you can just bump the reader when your hands are full with groceries or whatnot.

Reply to
Pete C.

Is there a locksmith in your town that you could visit and talk to? Not all wisdom is available on the Internet.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

re: Not all wisdom is available on the Internet.

D*mn. Well, you've just ruined my day.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

is:

I don't

Actually, all wisdom is indeed available on the Internet. The problem comes in the needle-in-haystack task of trying to find that wisdom among all the rotting hay...

Reply to
Pete C.

re: "Actually, all wisdom is indeed available on the Internet"

I have to side with Smitty the 2nd here...

Information is available, wisdom is not.

wis=B7dom -noun

  1. the quality or state of being wise; knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight.
  2. Common sense; good judgment

You aren't going to find *that* on the internet.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

This one sounds good to me.

jimmyDahGeek

Try asking this question in alt.locksmithing. You'll likely get some intelligent advice there. Pay attention to whatever Roger Shoaf says; he's usually right on target ;-)

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

"Pete C." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@snet.net:

passive RFID chips.

OTOH, a fingerprint-reader lock can't get lost. (or left -inside- when you close the door and it locks behind you.=Aws#!t.) AFAIK,you can program several person's FPs into them.

Swipe cards(magnetic stripe) can be COPIED just like thieves do with credit cards.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Cindy Hamilton wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q21g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

OTOH,a locksmith may have a vested interest in selling you a system HE benefits from,if you don't have some initial basic info and ideas.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Fingerprint readers are slow, vulnerable to vandals, and can be defeated in several ways. Prox card / fob readers hide nicely under vinyl siding or trim so vandals can't even find them.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Mark" wrote in news:47a13cf0$0$6513$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Didya see that commercial on TV for the voice-operated "sync" software in some auto?

girl approaches office glass door;says "door open",and then she slams into the still-closed door,spills latte all over glass door.....

So,you have your RFID fob in pocket,approach door,speak "door open" and PRESTO! 8-)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I've spent much of the last decade working in an environment with prox cards and electric door latches. Waving your hip with the prox card badge by the deader and then pushing through the door. Very convenient.

Give the wonderful job that MacroSloth Word / Excel mangled a simple document with a couple embedded spreadsheet objects on me recently, I certainly wouldn't use any MacroSloth voice control software for anything important.

Reply to
Pete C.

snipped-for-privacy@q21g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

Of course. So does lock-depot.com. I'd rather look the locksmith in the eye and ask him what he thinks.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

my point was that using the Internet,you can get an idea of whats available,any potential problems with a particular product,check prices. It's a valuable research resource,even with all the wackos.

and like ANY technical person,locksmiths range from inept to genius.

Reply to
Jim Yanik