Swinging door wall

I will be enclosing my furnace soon and had the idea of building the wall but with bi-fold doors to gain access. Now, I've been thinking more of eliminating the bi-fold door idea and hinging the actual wall with studs. I will be using metal studs (lighter) and thought about hinging to the abutting stud and installing a roller on the bottom for easier gliding on floor.

Anyone ever do something like that and can offer suggestions, tips, tricks, etc.

Thanks

Reply to
Meanie

You should be able to. Keep in mind strong hinges (3 reg door type or pivot), ceiling and swing clearances, proper ventilation, fire & noise insulation, accessibility, etc. I assume in a finished basement?

Reply to
vpnp.66

Yes, finished. I'm glad you mentioned the ventilation. I forgot about the furnace area needing to be vented. I'll have to incorporate that somewhere.

Reply to
Meanie

Would a sliding door with some visible tracks be appropriate?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

...or a barn door:

DerbyDad03

Has its potential. I kinda like that.

Reply to
Meanie

It's growing on me.

Reply to
Meanie

Why bother? You only open that door twice a year. It doesn't need heavy d uty hinges, rollers, locks, latches, etc. Just make a really light weight door and set it into the jamb manually. Put a couple of big suitcase style handles on it to lift it off when you need to get in. It doesn't really o pen, you just take it off and set it aside.

Reply to
TimR

duty hinges, rollers, locks, latches, etc. Just make a really light weigh t door and set it into the jamb manually. Put a couple of big suitcase sty le handles on it to lift it off when you need to get in. It doesn't really open, you just take it off and set it aside.

How do you know how often he'll open that door? I clean my filter once a month.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If you use a roller wheel for extra support, it should be spring-loaded unless your laminate floor is exactly perpendicular to the stud that the door/wall is hinged upon.

Reply to
hrhofmann