Swimming pool filter

Our DE pool filter is failing, and we are looking to replace it with a sand filter before this spring. Local Phoenix pool dealer is claiming that Hayward Sand filters (S244S, S244T) develop cracks in their cases after a few years. He is recommending a Pentair Triton II claiming the Triton does not have this issue. Has anybody heard of this, especially in hot weather environments?
Any comments, experiences, or recommendations would be grately appreciated.
Thanks!
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

Our S166T is 16 years old. We are in NJ. It's been picked up and emptied, rolled around with sand in it, all kinds of abuse. No cracks or signs of weakness.