Swimming Pool Cartridge Filter

How can I tell if I can get away with cleaning my cartridge filter or if I need to purchase a new one? I have a 28,000 gal in-ground pool with a Jandy 460 115 sq ft filter. I have never had a problem with clean clear water but don't want to have one in the middle of the season. I'm getting ready to open the pool and can't decide if I should purchase a new filter or just clean the old one.

On average, they last about five years and should be cleaned with a garden hose every month or so.