Swich Location walk-in Closet

Where should the light switch be located for my walk-in closet; In- side or Out-side the room ?

How big does the closet need to be before its considered a room of its own ? (place the switch on the In-side)

Thanks

Reply to
sid

Why not put in a motion sensor (aka occupant sensor) so the light comes on automatically? Then it doesn't matter where you put the switch and it satisfies code.

RicodJour

That is a design choice. Nothing says the required wall mounted switch needs to be inside any room.

Reply to
gfretwell

I think the more important question is "Where do YOU want the switch?"

Steve Barker

can you cite where code requires a light in a closet?

Reply to
Steve Barker

re: "..put in a motion sensor...then it doesn't matter where you put the switch..."

Sure it does...

If it's a fixture mounted detector then it obviously must be placed inside.

If it's a wall mounted detector/override switch combination then it would certainly make sense to mount it inside or the light would come on whenever you walked past it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I put ours on outside with a light on the switch to show it is on so it will be shut off after door is closed, WW

Reply to
WW

Not really.

Obviously.

Right. So he shouldn't get a wall mounted detector if he puts the switch outside. He hasn't determined the switch location yet and I'm assuming the OP's not an idiot.

RicodJour

Since nearly everyone is bouncing the question back to you, I'll give a switch location opinion.

I've had switch for walk-in closets located inside & outside.....I prefer the inside location.

That was the "light or dark" is located in the same "room" as the switch. Less likely to leave the light on or turn the light on when the door is closed.

My natural motion when moving into dark room is to reach for the light switch on the inside wall somewhere above the latch strike.

I also tend to use switches with lighted toggles or rockers.

Just my 2=A2

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

Most buyers expect the switch to be outside. Only walkins I have seen with switches inside were on high-end houses, and could more properly be called dressing rooms. If there is a vanity and a place for a chair in there, I'd call it a room.

Check your local codes- some are fussy about type and placement of light fixtures in closets. Porcelain base on the wall above the door doesn't fly in most places any more.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 08:03:16 -0700 (PDT), against all advice, something compelled sid , to say:

I'd put a normally closed (NC) pushbutton up on the frame somewhere, located so the door will push it down when it's closed. Then, whenever you open the door, the light will come on, just like a refrigerator.

Is it going to have an HVAC vent in it?

Reply to
Steve Daniels

For many years I've installed door switches in the door frame so the closet light comes on when the door is opened. The things are easily obtained at any electrical supplier.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

A regular closet (an alcove with a door) does not, a storage room, such as a walk-in closet, does.

Code is sometimes dumb, but it's not totally stupid. Code realizes that most people don't walk around their house with flashlights. If you can walk into a room that is dark, you're going to need some light.

This is from the NY Residential Code, which is essentially the same as the IRC.

=A7RE3803.4 Storage or equipment spaces. In attics, under-floor spaces, utility rooms and basements, at least one lighting outlet shall be installed where these spaces are used for storage or contain equipment requiring servicing. Such lighting outlet shall be controlled by a wall switch or shall have an integral switch. At least one point of control shall be at the usual point of entry to these spaces.

RicodJour

Hang a flashlight on a nail, inside near the door latch.

Reply to
1D1OT

You're the one that said it didn't matter where he put the switch if he used a motion detector. Now you seem to be agreeing with me that it does matter. Which is it?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

They make sensors that light the closet when you open the door to walk in. Very handy!

Lou

Reply to
LouB

I prefer putting such a switch on the inside, so that it is door- controlled instead of "Honey, you left the closet light on again".

Also, I use a refrigerator switch to do the job, and I wire two lights in series so they are not annoyingly bright, and they never have to be replaced.

Reply to
Michael B

My walkin closet has the switch on the bedroom wall, makes sense. If your walkin closet belongs the the bedroom and that is the only closet for the bedroom, it probably can not become a separate room. I used my walkin closet to sleep when I worked the 3rd shift--quiet and dark, perfect "bedroom" but some may not agree.

Reply to
Phisherman

I have not changed my opinion or advice. Maybe we're talking at cross purposes.

It doesn't matter where the switch is placed if a device that automatically controls the light is used.

There are only two choices. The OP can locate the switch wherever he likes, then use the appropriate occupant sensor light control. OR, the OP can determine which is the appropriate occupant sensor and then locate the switch as required.

See? It doesn't matter as the end result will be the same and there are sensors that work with whatever switch location is chosen. Hope that clears things up.

RicodJour