sweat connections to old copper supply lines

I'm working in my old Philadelphia victorian rerouting the copper supply lines, and I'm trying to tie into some older copper line with new stuff. But the joints keep failing on the old copper side. The lines are bone dry, and I've sanded them down to shiny copper so the fittings slide on nicely, I've got it all fluxed up, but the solder isn't taking. It looks like it's even being repelled! Any ideas why I'm having such difficulty? All the other joints, where the copper's all new are just fine.
Anrew
Andrew wrote:

Try a small tub of Oatey No. 95 Flux.
See if you can get solder to flow onto the end of the old pipe (no fitting).

Yes. That's usually the best approach because you can inspect after wiping and see if the coating is even.

Excellent! The tinning procedure worked, and the sweat connections are holding so far. It's nice to be able to shower again! I have a couple of other questions I'll launch in new threads I guess.