Swamp cooler water feed problem

Page 1 of 2
The water level in my swamp cooler is consistantly too high and sometimes overflows. The valve has a thick wire to the float. I bend the float down until the water only starts flowing at the proper level. It won't stay set correctly. After a while - hours or days - the level is too high again. The float is not leaking. All I can think of is the float is somehow bending the wirw? Seems impossible - it is hard to bend.
Suggestions?
Yes, I know, change the valve assembly. However, I'm still in cooling season here in AZ and hate to try to change it. These things have a way of being a lot more trouble than expected. I don't want to have to work for hours in the hot sun. What could possibly go wrong? Leave it to me; I'll find something!
In some thirty years I never had this problem before!
TIA

Thanks.
I don't see any sign of it. The float looks the same after the level chenges.

What about the wire, does it look the same?
Maybe you're bending it, and when you're not around, someone is bending it back.
We used to do that with someone's waistband on his pants. First we made them tighter and tighter, then later looser and looser. Or maybe that was people on tv.

I don't know the people around him, or why they do things. If someone can murder 12 people in a morning, someone else can bend a wire over and over. Maybe it's a joke, like adjusting the waistband of someone's pants. One shouldn't exclude possibilities just because they seem unlikely.

The possibility of being hit by an asteroid is so small that I don't consider the possibility when I get up in the morning. Do you?
On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 15:10:08 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

He has a problem that needs solving, a mystery. He needs to consider every possibility.
When I wake up in the morning, I don't have a problem that needs solving and certainly not a mystery.
And the odds that a friend is goofing on him are many orders of magnitude higher than the odds of being hit by an asteroid.
2) Another possibility is that the OP bends it, but it slowly springs back to where it was. All by itself. The original rod was designed not to do this, but maybe it's not the right rod for some reason.
Either way, the angle or something shoudl be measured.
3) I'd just keep bending the rod more and more, until that stops working or the weather is cooler.

*EVERY* possibility? I don't think so.

Seems you don't take your own advice.

You really must have some nasty "friends".
<irrelevant babble snipped>
On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 20:08:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I do.

??

A) This says nothing about the kind of friends I have. I don't even have a swamp cooler.
B) What it does say is how unlikely it is to be hit by an asteroid. And I'll add, how little one can do about it. If he were to figure out that his friend was goofing on him, he'd tell him he figured it out, everyone would laugh, and the friend would stop.
C) If the friend is just goofing on him, it's not nasty.

Now we know you're lying.

You didn't solve all the problems, obviously.

Well, the alternative is that you're incredibly paranoid.

But you just got through saying that you think of everything.

Leaks aren't nasty?

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 13:57:50 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

How easily some people insult others. I'm not lying. When I have a mystery problem, until I know the reason for it, I try to consider every possible reason for it. Of course there is no way to know if one has considered every possibiltiy

a) How do you know that? b) I never said I did. I said he needs to consider every possibility, and when I have a mystery problem, I try to consider every possibility. That doesn't mean I'll think of every one, but more importantly, even finding the right reason for the problem does not mean someone will solve the problem. I want to take 3 years off and travel around the world. And I don't want to stay in group hostels on this trip. The problem is I don't have the money. Knowing the problem doesn't solve the problem.

No. It was a hypothetical, and I didn't mention myself or my friends. It's the OP who has a problem with the swamp cooler.

I never said that, and I think you must be a sloppy reader to keep saying I said things I haven't said. I said that "he needs to consider every possibility." That doesn't mean he *or I* have thought of every possible reason his swamp cooler is causing problems.

It depends on what it leaks on. It might have an overflow that routes overflows to some harmless location. Or a friend who is playing with him might not realize that it's actually overflowing enough to cause damage. The OP didn't say it was causing damage.
Even if the leak turns out to be nasty, that's not enough to say his friend is nasty. It depends on the friend's intention.

Yes. Hard to tell though.

No, I live alone.

Actually, it's not. It's a window mount. I don't like them on the roof because of possible leaks and overflow water damage. Had first one on roof - never again.

think

That's the way I do it.

Yes, took it off and shook it.

No - just bending the float arm.

As I mentioned, in a week or two when it cools off. I can live with it until then

You said it yourself, you need to change teh valve assembly. Most likely the valve rubber washer that seals the seat is hard, cracked and leaking. This should be a very easy job on a cooler. Worst possible scenario is you can't unscrew the corroded mounting for the valve and have to rip out part of the cooler sheet metal to get it off. Just relocate teh valve to an new spot, drill a new hole and mount the new valve. But I'd be very surprised if it came to that. If you are worried about it get some PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench and soak the threads for a couple days before you try and take it apart. These valves are usually made of brass or plastic and while the build up of crud on them may look terrible the brass or plastic itself is OK under the crap and you should be able to get it apart without damaging the cooler. I have also fixed these types of valves by leaving the valve body along and just buying a similar new valve and just swapping out the parts that move. I've done it that way a couple times for the one in my swimming pool because the valve body was sort of concreted into place by the idiots who built the pool.
KenK wrote:

If the float is ok and the float rod is unlikely to be bending, then the next logical suspect is the valve the float arm connects to. Perhaps the connection to the arm is slipping, the valve seat is deteriorating or something else is happening there including perhaps the mounting of the valve itself that is allowing the shift to occur.

Interesting theory. Not sure how to check. Appears to be all ok; I'll look again.
Well, it will soon be time to turn off the cooler for the year. I'll have all winter to replace the valve and I can take a good look at the old one just out of curiosity.

Pussibly. My well water is certainly very hard.

Yes. New pads. Scrape out water reservoir. Etc. Not my favorite chore.

You will probably find the fill valve is passing (ie not closing properly and letting a small amount od water through.)

You may well be right! I didn't notice any trickle but it could be very small.