swamp cooler leaking hot air

I recently moved into a home that has ductwork to 7 different rooms and

connected to that ductwork are both an evaporative (swamp) cooler and a

forced air heater. I fear I'm losing a lot of heat through the swamp cooler. I've got a cover on it, but I checked it out today and the cover was pretty warm (on my roof in 30 deg weather) and bulging out from the air (I tied a couple straps around the cover) .

What can I do? I feel like I need something that will cut off the duct

from the swamp cooler to the rest of the system. Is that possible? Expensive?

Thanks,

Grip

Do you own this home, or rent? If the latter, maybe the landolrd will be amenable to the installation of a barometric damper. Tom

Reply to
tom

you can put in an automaic or manual dampler that closes the duct to the evap during heating season....

but even without a damper...if the air pressure is so high that it is buldging the cover on your evap, then you may want to investigate why.... do you have too many vents closed off, the back pressure should not be that high...

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I own and am willing to do the work.

I do have a lot of vents closed off, to distribute heat to the parts of the house that I'm using (bedrooms at night, living during the day, etc.).

I will look into a manual damper, but where should I start?

Mark wrote:

Reply to
Grip

A barometric damper would allow you to just forget about it. It would install just after the swamp cooler. Do a google search, or call around to the local hardware/HVAC retailers. Tom

Reply to
tom

Barometric dampers are great, but they require considerable installation or duct work.

Your cooler shoud already be set up with a simple damper system. Just below the blower, outside the cooler (sometimes inside the cooler), there is a thin slot all the way across the duct(it might be covered with aluminum tape). Inside this slot, there are guides for a damper to slide into. You must slide a damper into this slot to block the heated air from going up into the cooler. This damper is commonly called a "cookiesheet damper". It is simply a flat piece of sheetmetal with a 1/2 inch right angle bend in it (used as a handle). The dimensions of the damper is the same as the inside of your duct. When you insert the damper, use some aluminum tape to seal over the "handle" of the damper and the opening (slot).

In the spring, when you are setting your cooler up for the summer, you must remove this damper and reseal the slot. At the furnace, there should be a similar damper that needs to be inserted in spring and removed in winter. This damper keeps the cooled air from escaping through the furnace.

If you don't have either of these dampers you can have them made easily and inexpensively at any sheetmetal shop.

To learn more service and repair information on evaporative coolers, visit:

Larry Galpin The Cooler Doctor

Service, Repair & Enhance the Performance of Your Cooler Yourself and Save $100s Every Year!

Reply to
coolerdoctor