Swamp cooler blower cleaning

Every spring when I prepare the cooler for another cooling season I have to get rid of the dirt accumulated in the blower during the winter. What I do is hold an A/C filter over the cooler air output and start the motor. This catches most of the dirt. I have remember to do it for the next ten startups or so, a PITA.

What the blower needs is a large hole on its side at the bottom so you could flush it out with a hose. No hole in mine, anyhow.

How do you clean yours out?

Also, I often wonder where all that dirt comes from? The cooler is closed up and the cooling pads should stop dust from getting inside in winter. Any guesses?

Ideas?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

By "blower", do you mean the cooler housing itself? Or, on the blades of the squirrel cage?

If your cooler does NOT have separate wet and dry sections, consider carefully hosing it down (inside)?

We just drained the sump every season and rinsed it clean again before restarting.

Surely you jest? :> The fine dust (think haboob) gets in damn near EVERYWHERE! During cooling season(s), water flowing through the pads helps capture the dirt so it doesn't get onto things (though the sump gets cruddy).

Reply to
Don Y

Don Y wrote in news:nb4flg$scf$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Housing. The device with the fan inside that sucks the air in through the pads and blows it into the house.

No hole on the blower housing to let the dirt out, not mine anyhow. I'd just end up with a blower with water in the bottom until it evaporated.

By the sump you mean the water revervoir, the bottom inside of the cooler, where the water accumulates after it flows throgh the pads? Where the pump is located?

Trouble with conversations about coolers is I don't know the correct names for the parts.

Reply to
KenK

There's not a drain for the sump? How do you "winterize" it?

Yes.

Some coolers have a sump (reservoir) that fills the entire bottom of the cooler. This can be a side-draft or down-draft cooler (in the case of down draft like this, there's a "hole" in the center of the sump through which the air exits into the house; so, the sump is sort of like a "moat" around a castle).

[The down-draft often has pads on all four sides -- pull more air through the pads without needing a physically larger cooler housing]

For a wet-dry cooler, the pad is usually on one side of the cooler with the sump directly beneath. The blower is located in the "dry" side -- drafting out the side or down.

[In theory, the blower isn't subjected to as much corrosive effects -- and, you don't have to fear the "mote" springing a leak... directly INTO your ductwork connected from below!]

Well, there's the Elizabeth -- which connects to the Becky... which, in turn, feeds the Betsy Sue. Unless, of course, you've got a European model (in which case, the parts are named Hilda, Gertrude and Hermione!)

If you don't have a drain (??), take the feed tube from the outlet of the pump and disconnect it from the spider (the distribution pipe at the top of the cooler, above the pads) -- I guess this would be called Charlotte! :>

Run the pipe (usually flexible hose) out the side of the cooler. Turn pump on (but not blower!) and direct a gentle, FOCUSED stream of water at any accumulated dirt (a sponge can be helpful). Just make sure you don't get ahead of the pump's ability to drain the sump as you're busy flushing water through it!

Reply to
Don Y

Oren wrote in news:jkobdbtm6g96a453767cg4bhe49bksfrng@

4ax.com:

Excellent suggestion! Thanks. Wonder if they have them at Walmart. Or Tru-Value hardware. Have to look this weekend.

Reply to
KenK