swamp cooler anode

Hi All,
I noticed an anode for swamp coolers advertised on a web site. Not to ask too stupid a questions, but how is this installed? Do you throw it into the tub? Or, do you bury it in the ground (dirt) and run a wire to to bottom of the cooler?
Many thanks, --Tony
Tony wrote: I noticed an anode for swamp coolers advertised on a web site. Not to ask too stupid a questions, but how is this installed? Do you throw it into the tub? Or, do you bury it in the ground (dirt) and run a wire to to bottom of the cooler?
It's called a "sacrificial" anode, meant to be eaten up by any galvanic response that would otherwise eat the cooler body.
"Anodes should come into contact with the metal part it will protect, and the potential of any sacrificial anode needs to be at least 200 milliamps higher than the other metal components". So, I'd connect it to the cooler body, and let the anode rest in the water. HTH. Tom
tom wrote:

Thank you.
How would you connect it in the winter when there is no water in it?
--Tony
Might I suggest you contact the company selling the things and ask them about the install.
Secondly, why would you worry about it in the winter if there's no water involved? Just leave it there until summer when you re-fill.

Anthony Ewell wrote:

Surprisingly, were you to actually buy one of the things, the installation instructions would come with it.
It has a wire with a terminal crimped on that you attach to the metal frame above the water level. It comes with a plastic tray that isolates the sacrificial anode from the metal below the water level. The tray holds the anode below the water level and sort of catches the particle flakes as the anode is "consumed." Its purpose is to let the anode corrode away and not the metal frame.
--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten
My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price
Grandpa Koca wrote:

Thank you!