Suspended Ceilings

I've been thinking of starting a small business hanging suspended ceilings. I'll be doing pretty much weekend work. No huge jobs as I will be a one man show. I have never run a small business. I've hung probably 15 ceilings for friends and family. I have all the tools, a van, I'm good at it and enjoy doing it. I want to do this legally (pay taxes etc...). I have been on a few sites (sba.gov is one of them) but would like to hear from people also. Do I need a contractor's license for this in Ma even if I am my only employee? I know that in Massachusetts you are taxed big time but can write all of your expenses off. I imagine that I will need insurance. Any tips, advise etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reply to
jimmyd627

business insurance today costs a fortune....

its gone up so much

Reply to
hallerb

Thanks! I have not even looked at that but I figured it would.

Reply to
jimmyd627

You need a license, you need insurance. Since you are asking about expense write off, you need an accountant for at least an initial consultation and perhaps for your yearly taxes. You can write off direct expenses, but trucks and some expensive tools need to be amortized. You will need meticulous record keeping if you are mixing personal tools, office space, telephone, with the business items. Keep in mind that you will be paying self employment tax at the end of the year (double what your employer takes out for SS tax)

You probably have to charge more than you think you do to cover all these expenses and take home a fair wage.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks Ed!

Reply to
jimmyd627

  1. Take "Bookkeeping 101" at your local community college.
  2. Work for a company - for free if necessary - doing what you want to do. I know one chap who rode the train twice a week for six months, from Philadelphia to Manhattan, so he could intern (for free) at a shop similar to what he was contemplating.
  3. Incorporate in Delaware or Nevada (e.g., see "The Company Corporation").
  4. Register said corporation with your state's Secretary of State and perhaps your county's assumed name department.
  5. A bank account and perhaps a company credit card.
  6. Get close to a tax attorney.
  7. Get a concealed handgun permit (oops, I forgot, Massachusetts).

At a minimum, you'll need an EIN (Employer Identification Number) from the IRS and a state sales tax permit. You may also need various licenses, including such things as a permit to dispose of hazardous waste, health certificates, enrollment in your state's unemployment and workmen's compensation plans.

There's about a billion other things you'll need that boggle the mind. I would bet, for example, you'll have to treat with some government agency (and pay a fee) to put lettering on your truck!

Or you could work "off the books" (for cash), hire illegal immigrants to do most of the work, and get rich.

Reply to
HeyBub

Ahh you want to specialize in just suspended cielings, and probably small jobs.

while most potential customers will want someone to do say paneling or other stuff for small jobs.

I have my own business fixing office machines, pia paperwork.

dont forget sales tax even if you dont charge it on your jobs of say iots tax exempt theres still paperwork to do, the sales tax license allows you to avoiid paying sales tax on stuff you buy

Reply to
hallerb

Thanks! Good advise!

Reply to
jimmyd627

Yes, if it is for resale or for use in manufacturing. Not everything qualifies. The MA DOR does audit businesses also so keep those receipts. It may be cheaper to pay the tax on materials and not charge tax for your labor and avoid having to do the reports. Check the state laws to be sure you are doing it correctly.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski