suspended ceiling recommendations to reduce noise?

What can I use to reduce the noise coming from downstairs, where it has a suspended ceiling??
The main floor has hardwood floors, house built in the 50's. The downstairs has a suspended ceiling with 2x4' tiles. The floor downstairs is laminate.
Would insulation between the floor joists help? What suspended ceiling tile would work? Brand, name?
Any other recommendations?
samurai.
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 04:03:00 +0000, samurai wrote:

How about batt insulation atop the suspended ceiling?
Some acoustical tiles absorb sound better than others. Check with a reputable ceiling tile supplier for recommendations.
Insulation in the joists will work to some degree. There are some Armstrong tiles that have sound-deadening capabilities. . If you really want to spend some money, there are wall coverings you could put up. These are used by sound studios. Big bucks but very effective. . Do not use egg crate foam. EVER !!!! Unless is it fireproof.

JohnnyC wrote:

How does fireproofing influence the sound-deadening quality?
Fireproofing doesn't affect soundproofing(as far as i know), but when egg crate burns, it's like gasoline.
People who are familiar with the 'Station Fire' in 2003 know all about how the flammable egg crate foam accelerated the fire.

JohnnyC wrote:

Oh. Okay.
Still, I wish folks would stick to the subject - the OP doesn't indicate any interest in fire retardation, he's interested in sound attenuation.
In my view if the egg cartons or the drapes or the cat catches on fire, I'll leave.

It's hard to enjoy the stereo while the roof is coming down on you in flames. Last time I checked, firefighters were a rather noisy bunch.
spray closed cell foam is the best but a little pricey. it seals and cuts noise transmission because air carrying noise cant get thru.
you definetely need carpet, or cork or something over that hardwood floor
http://www.soundproofing.org /
In general you want to block air exchange. Air caries sound very well. (Try opening your car's window as a train is going by.)
Next you want weight. Heavy things (drywall lead sheets etc.) block sound well.
You also want to prevent any direct solid connections. Stagger wall studs or use special isolation devices to keep the sound from traveling through the wall (remember the two cans on a string (well wire actuarially worked) you want to break the wire).
Filling in wall cavities with sound absorbing materials (accustical fiberglass bats) will do a little.
Point source control (special absorption material) at the source of the sound will also help.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 11:50:27 -0500, "Joseph Meehan"

right now it's got the cheap, standard ceiling tile with a NRC=.5. Would adding another layer of the same tile help?
Home Depot here carries an insulation called Rocksol for the floor joists, which has been recommended by some ceiling stores here. I will install the Rocksol for sure, just wondering on what kind of tile to use for the ceiling.

..
Well there are many factors so without far more information (and more knowledge of the science on my part) I can only offer a few guesses.
In general those tiles tend to prevent reflection of sound but don't seem to do much to prevent penetration.
To make a serious reduction of sound passing through the ceiling, you need some weight or isolation. A layer of sheet lead or a new ceiling on and isolation system should make a big difference.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit