suspended ceiling or ceil

Scott:

S > I have a utility room that I am finishing. One of the last pieces is what S > type of ceiling to install. I originally was going to put in a drop S > ceiling, but am now considering throwing up some 1x3s and attaching ceiling S > tile. My reasons are that it will be an easier install, cheaper and will S > probably look nicer. My hesitation on this is that it would be nice to hav

S > the suspended ceiling in this room to easily be able to get at where the S > electrical runs from the circuit box are, as the main circuit box is in thi

S > rooom and all the circuits in the house run from this room. S > S > What are people's feelings towards having this easily accessible via a S > suspended ceiling as opposed to having to remove some pieces of "permanent" S > ceiling tile if there were to be a problem/upgrade needed electrically?

If there is even the remotest possibility I would need to access above the ceiling I would try to have a passageway. How about a removable panel like what is frequently used to get into an attic? You could have your less expensive permanent ceiling with the convenience of a suspended ceiling for access.

  • The tongue must be heavy indeed, because so few people can hold it.
Reply to
barry martin

Y knot

I had precisely the same situation in my basement where I needed access to wiring and plumbing. I installed a suspended ceiling. The cost was not out of line and the job was easy to do. I think it's much better than standard ceiling tile. In fact the other half of the basement has regular tile and I am planning on taking it out and using a suspended ceiling even though there is no need for access there. Hanging the support struts is a lot less work than nailing in lath strips. . One thing to watch... You need manoeuvring room for the panels. The struts for the panels have to be at least 6 inches below the joists.

Reply to
Dick Smyth

On 12/23/2004 10:43 AM US(ET), Dick Smyth took fingers to keys, and=20 typed the following:

Not necessarily. In my basement, the height between the joists and the=20 face of my panels is 3". They are lifted just enough to clear the tracks =

and then slid to the side. If I have to remove a panel, I just remove=20 one of the short pieces of track.

--=20 Bill

Reply to
willshak