suspended ceiling or ceil

Scott:
S > I have a utility room that I am finishing. One of the last pieces is what S > type of ceiling to install. I originally was going to put in a drop S > ceiling, but am now considering throwing up some 1x3s and attaching ceiling S > tile. My reasons are that it will be an easier install, cheaper and will S > probably look nicer. My hesitation on this is that it would be nice to hav
S > the suspended ceiling in this room to easily be able to get at where the S > electrical runs from the circuit box are, as the main circuit box is in thi
S > rooom and all the circuits in the house run from this room. S > S > What are people's feelings towards having this easily accessible via a S > suspended ceiling as opposed to having to remove some pieces of "permanent" S > ceiling tile if there were to be a problem/upgrade needed electrically?
If there is even the remotest possibility I would need to access above the ceiling I would try to have a passageway. How about a removable panel like what is frequently used to get into an attic? You could have your less expensive permanent ceiling with the convenience of a suspended ceiling for access.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* The tongue must be heavy indeed, because so few people can hold it.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971

I had precisely the same situation in my basement where I needed access to wiring and plumbing. I installed a suspended ceiling. The cost was not out of line and the job was easy to do. I think it's much better than standard ceiling tile. In fact the other half of the basement has regular tile and I am planning on taking it out and using a suspended ceiling even though there is no need for access there. Hanging the support struts is a lot less work than nailing in lath strips. . One thing to watch... You need manoeuvring room for the panels. The struts for the panels have to be at least 6 inches below the joists.

On 12/23/2004 10:43 AM US(ET), Dick Smyth took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Not necessarily. In my basement, the height between the joists and the face of my panels is 3". They are lifted just enough to clear the tracks and then slid to the side. If I have to remove a panel, I just remove one of the short pieces of track.

-- Bill