surround sound "pre-wire"

Page 2 of 2

| All- | | If this is the wrong board for this, please comment. | | I just purchased a new construction home. I purchased a surround sound | pre-wire. This has left the wires dangling from dry wall... I was | expecting some hookups for my speakers, not loose wires... | | in addition the new stereo cabinet I bought has moved the receiver too | far from the point where the wires could connect directly into the | receiver. So a "face plate" was suggested to hook the wires behind the | drywall into the face plate, then hook my receiver into the face plate. | | third issue is the sub woofer is wired with coaxial cable (not RCA | connections). I was told I could purchase a face plate which would | convert co ax signal/ cable to an RCA plug. | | My system includes: | | pioneer receiver (RCA inputs for sub woofer) | yamaha front speakers | bose center speaker (needs RCA connection) | infinity rear spreakers | | My pre wire has 7 dry wall wire locations: | | 1&2) rear left and right speakers (these could hook right into rear | speakers, but looks tacky coming out of dry wall.... thoughts? | | 3 and 4) front left and right speakers (one of these can hook directly | into speaker, other wire might be a couple inches short, and these also | look tacky comming stright out of dry wall. | | 5) center channel wire (I just realized I haven't pulled this wire out | to see if it will reach my center channel) | | 6) sub woofer coaxial cable coming out of dry wall. My sub woofer | cannot accept this cable | | 7) a 7th location which has the wires routed through it- 5 speaker | wires and coaxial cable none of which reach my receiver and the co-ax | needs to be converted to RCA. | | If anyone has any experience dealing with a problem like this, please | let me know. | | best regards. | | jIM |
What you are looking for are "banana" jack plates to put on the walls and finish the pre-wire.
You will then have to solder proper length speaker wires to a "Banana" jack on one end and "RCA" jacks to the other end for pluging into your stereo/surround sound controller.
A similar hookup for the woofer will also be required. The coax here is normal as the wires should all be shielded from stray noise input.
My speakers are of the variety that only requires bare wire to be pushed into a spring clip. This, too, is normal.
Your best bet is to seek out a good stereo shop and ask a lot of dumb questions in the hope of getting enlightened answers. Do your homework before hooking up your system. It will save you a lot of anguish and enhance your listening pleasure.
Just go to a well equipped stereo shop and they will have what you need to do the job. Be aware that all stereo shops are not created equal. I know of a few near me who only know how to charge.
-- PDQ

Some speakers connect to plain wires, right? If you wanted another end for your speakers, maybe you should have told them what end that would be. But I don't see the problem. It's barely any harder to solder on a new end now than it would have been in advance.
The point of pre-=wire is that you don't have to open the walls to put in wires.
But regardless, you don't have to open the wires to attach ends to the wires.

What's wrong with that?. That's how I handled my own installation, where I ran the wires myself. Speaker wires, roof antenna jack, telphone jack, I attached them all to the walls, and ran wires from the jacks to the receiver, tivo, and telephone. That way, when I move or if I stop using them, there won't be wires dangling from the wall.
You don't need boxes to put these things in, because no one can get hurt from any of these wires. You can screw the face plate into the sheet roock, or you can buy a little galvanized rectangle, with some metal frames that bend over and clamp around the sheet rock, and screw the wall plates into that. Or you could just solder an end on the wire, and let it dangle from the hole in the wall, covered up by your book shelves or something.

I'm sure there is. There are connectors from just about everything to just about anything. If Radio Shack doesn't have one and the stereo store doesn't have one,, there's www.mouser.com and www.mcm.com
Personally I don't know why coax is used for any speakers. Since speaker output isn't further amplified, any interference from radio signals or stray signals of any sort won't be heard through the speakers. And the purpose of coax is to prevent the reception of such signals.
This is different from cable tv from a box in the back yard, etc.. Those signals are amplified thousands of times, and the slightest amount of received interference will show up in the sound or picture or both.
More below ..

Are you saying here you want a plate and not just wires. I thought above you wanted the opposite. You could put the speaker in front of the wire, and if it doesn['t go there well, how much planning went into this project..
More below.

What is the problem again?

Just curious: Did you select the number and locations or did they? I hope not them.
While plates and connectors might be a more elegant solution there's nothing wrong with hooking the wires directly to the speakers, assuming they left enough AND that the speaker will entirely hide it. Less things to interfere with the signal is a good thing. This is how surround speakers in movie theatres are normally installed.
I also hope these wires are home runs--each speaker wire is an independent run back to your central point. When there are multiple speakers for a channel as there would be in a larger installation the series or parallel decisions can be made or changed back at the central connection point not permanently made as part of the wiring installation.