Supporting 3" vent stack

It's 3" ABS so it does not weigh that much. However, does no one make a support system that installs within the wall (as opposed to supporting it from below)?
I know that I can wrap it with 'plumbers tape' and nail the tape ends to my studs. Easy to do where you can get a bite because of a fitting. How about mid-length? It would be easy if they made a 'glue-on' (ABS) quarter circle with floppy straps that could be nailed to the studs.
Checked with both box stores and ACE. Nobody knows of a better way to support stack than to simply wrap it tightly with the metal plumbers tape.
Any other ideas? Thanks god it isn't cast iron.
Thanks, Ivan Vegvary
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Use a sheet metal screw to secure the plumber's tape to the pipe?
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Use one of the rubber and hose clamp "fernco" type couplings to hold the pipe. Put the plumbers tape under the hose clamps and on top of the rubber section. Obviously slit the rubber section and undo the hose clamps so you can assemble it on the pipe mid span.
You could always cut the pipe and put a coupling in it so that the perforated metal strap has a grip. Use nuts and bolts to tighten the strapping to the pipe..

If you are currently building this, then the easiest thing to do would be to add a standard coupling where you need to support it. Then you can wrap your plumber's tape tightly around the pipe just below the coupling.
If this is an existing stack, you can still achieve the same effect: Take a standard ABS coupling and cut it half lengthwise. Remove the stop from each piece any way that you like (including just cutting each piece shorter right next to the stop). Now you can cement the two pieces onto the vent stack wherever you need to support it.
Cheers, Wayne

If you split the coupling, it will be difficult to get enough pressure for the ABS cement to soften both pipe and coupling to achieve a good bond without tightening a couple of gear pipe clamps around the split halves. Just leave the gear clamps on the couplings to assure that they don't move.
Another simpler method is to skip the coupling, and just use a couple of gear clamps around the pipe and run the perforated metal strapping under the clamps on both sides and bending the strap up where it appears under the last clamp. This way you avoid slippage.

Thanks everybody!!!
It never occurred to me that I could modify a coupling into a support piece. Great idea, and, they are very inexpensive!
Thanks again,
Ivan Vegvary

definitely used to exist. You could get them for fastening to the plates or the studs. Check in the places that carry gas furnace vent pipes if you can't find them at plumbing suppliers.
Don Young

Go to a plumbing supply. I have seen plumbers use a bracket that clamps around the pipe and rests on the bottom wall plate inside the wall.

Put a standard coupler or fitting where the stack exits the wall cavity through the top plate. Assuming your holes are pretty tight and true, there's no way it can fall down. Caution though...make sure you support the pipe the full cure time...other wise it will back out of the fitting.

I hadb a plumber recently replace all the bath plumbing from basement to just below roof. all is now plastic except above attic level.
he used pre made hangers, to support the weight.
this plumbing stack had troubles every 5 to 10 years since i moved here in 1972, i hope it ends the leaks. a real PIA with the kitchen cieling coming down repeatedly. every neighbor has the same problem.
I used a plumber wanting the problem gone permanetely