support wall or not?

My small kitchen and small dining room has a wall in between. I want to take down the wall and open up the area. I have two stories condo.

Take the cabinets out is not difficult. But I am afraid of the wall. How would I know if the wall is support for the upstair bedrooms or just a dummy wall?

Thanks. April

Reply to
April

I'd suggest that if you can't figure that answer out yourself already, you might want to consider a professional to do the job for you. is there any electrical / plumbing or duct work in that wall? that might be another good reason to get someone else to do it for you.

Dave

Reply to
JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMil

A Condo,, talk to the association. Dont mess with anything till you get permits , liscensed and Insured contractor and engineer advise. Be sure everyone is insured and lisenced , because 10 yrs down the road you may find a big fault. Its no easy job unless it is non bearing, even then , watch out.

Reply to
m Ransley

If it's perpendicular to the floor/ceiling joists, assume it's load bearing unless there is convincing proof otherwise. If it's parallel to the joists, there's still a chance it's load bearing. See

for a few of the possible weirdnesses.

In general, I'd have someone familiar with structures take a long look at it before swing any sledgehammers.

Reply to
Andy Hill

In general if the studs are 2x4's and 24 inch on center the wall is not bearing.

Remember what you paid for this advice. I suggest you contact a pro in your area to be sure.

Reply to
SQLit