supplier for Schlage mechanisms

I have an Schlage exterior F-series handleset that a DPO must have installed wrong and twisted the thumb-push mechanism (the square tube that actuates the latch). I took it apart and bent it back close to original so that it works, but they also managed to crack the female fitting for this tube where it enters the interior handle. Again, I have it working quite well, but it takes more thumb pressure than it should and who knows how long it will last?

I cannot find anybody on the web listing Schlage small parts. Clearly I could go out an buy a new interior and exterior handleset (Plymouth oil rubbed bronze) for a couple hundred dollars, but these parts are replaceable and I would prefer to do the work myself.

Do you know of any supplier of Schlage parts? Thank you in advance for any information you may have.

best,

doug

Reply to
old dirtbeard

Although a phonecall to Schlage might seem like a real long shot, it's probably worth a try. You never know about these things.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If Schlage customer service says they would prefer to not work with individuals, then the next option would be to find a cooperative locksmith to help you. You might also get lucky and find a similar lockset for parts at a builders' salvage yard. Failing that, you could do some parts repairs yourself with materials help from folks who repair high school band instruments (amazing what they can do with a squashed cornet!). Whatever, good luck,

Joe

Reply to
Joe

You know that is a great idea. I just tried calling but will need to wait until 7 a.m. CST to talk to someone.

Schlage has a lifetime mechanical warranty on the handlesets, but you need to send them in to be repaired (sort of tough not being able to open your front door for a few weeks). I might be able to get them to send me the parts, though. Thank you for the idea of calling -- I am so used to finding things on my own on the web, that I did not even think about calling. Thanks again.

doug

Reply to
old dirtbeard

Maybe they make an inexpensive lockset which uses the same installation hole sizes (in the door), and you could install that for a short period of time.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

How do you know they won't "cross ship" the parts; without talking to them, yet?

Reply to
Oren

Hey.....you're talking to a guy who didn't think to call the manufacturer.....

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Now he has to wait until the AM. What's up, Bangladesh on a lunch break?

Reply to
Oren

Ottawa (pop. 800,000) has about a dozen locksmiths. All I ever encountered carry Schlage components and often repair a carry-in while the customer waits. Most seem too small a business to have a web site.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Ouch...

Reply to
old dirtbeard

"old dirtbeard" wrote in news:i0sek.12299$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi065.nbdc.sbc.com:

If you frequent The Borg and the hardware guy is accoustomed to seeing you they may have one and give it you. Many of the locksets pkgs they get as returns are so broken up they just trash them once the dpt mgr give them the OK.

Otherwise, locksmith probablhy has boxes of misc parts around.

Reply to
Red Green

I've got a bunch of used Schlage locks. Twenty plus years as a locksmith, and I'm also a generation away from my depression baby parents. So, I hate to throw anything away. Remove the obvious spamblock and characters. Drop me a note off list. Maybe send me a couple digital pictures. I'll be happy to sell you (cheep) what ever I have.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thank you, it worked. I called Schlage today, they asked me if I was the original purchaser of the unit, I told them it was about five years old but it came with the house (need to be the original purchaser for the lifetime warranty).

The lady on the phone told me that the parts I needed were not available for purchase, but she decided to ship them to me for free (no shipping charges either).

Great advice to just call and see what they say. Also, great product support/customer-orientation from Schlage -- I will use them in the future.

best,

doug

Reply to
old dirtbeard

The manufacturer is ALWAYS the best resource to call first in such situations. If you have any Moen faucets that need parts, be sure to call them before heading out to a store. You'll be equally happy.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom