Super II Pump Replacement

My Hayward Super II Pump (dual speed) has died and I've been told to replace it with a single speed. Unfortunately I don't know what HP to get. My current says it's 2.5 HP (although the part number indicates it's only 2 HP SP1620-Z-2-MBK). My pool is 13,000 gallons, 5' at the deepest, and DOES have an automatic pool cleaner, but does NOT have a spa.
Incidentally, do I really need to replace the entire pump? Apparently the pump ran dry due to a blockage in the lines this past summer. The repairman said it was bad, but cleaned something out and sprayed it with WD40. Told me it would only last me a little while longer. Today I woke up to it "screaming", so I'm guessing it's finally given out. But with all the parts that I'm able to purchase separately, it seems I should be able to repair the existing pump instead of purchasing a whole new one. Any thoughts? I don't have a lot of money, but I do need whatever I do to last so I'm not continously putting money into the pool.
If I do need to replace, please advise on what HP I should get.
Thank you!
On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 09:54:58 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@tx.rr.com wrote:

INteresting. I have a 17 x 35 inground with 17,000 gal and only run a 1HP pump between 8-12hrs a day. Works perfectly. Bubba

If you are handy, replacing bearings and seals is not that big of a job.
Bob
charleslv had written this in response to http://www.www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Super-II-Pump-Replacement-268548-.htm :
------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@tx.rr.com wrote:

Have you solved this
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 284424 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##