Super glue

Page 1 of 2
I remember reading a thread about gorilla glue (I think that was the type of glue), but I can't find the thread.
I was wondering how to keep my tiny tubes of super glue from hardening at the tip after it's first use? I was going to try the solution someone mentioned in the gorilla glue thread, but can't remember exactly what the solutions was... maybe put some oil on the tip of the applicator? I'm not sure. Maybe it wouldn't work for super glue, but I was hoping someone would have a solution.
--
Maggie

Uncle Monster wrote:

I tried that. Once. I wound up with a headless pin glued into the nozzle. It was headless because the little plastic ball came off when I resorted to pliers trying to get the pin out.
On 7/20/2015 12:16 PM, dadiOH wrote:

uhoh ...
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote:

You can't. That's why they sell it in little tubes :)
Oil won't work. It will help if you squeeze the tube to get as much air out as possible before you cap it. Be sure to wipe off any squeeze out before capping. I always keep unopened tubes in the fridge, sometimes opened ones too, no idea if it helps but it makes me think I am doing something.
On 07/20/2015 12:19 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Simple--use a little acetone to clean the tip before storing (most nail polish remover is acetone for OP around the house available). At most you'll have a small-enough plug it's simple to remove.

I think it helps; I have a small prescription bottle of just about the size that will hold two tubes; I've kept it usable even after opened for well over a year--even that one surprised me as I recall thinking when the need arose it was so old as to probably be useless but was just fine.

On 7/20/2015 12:30 PM, dpb wrote:

So, does oil work?
--
Maggie

On 7/20/2015 12:19 PM, dadiOH wrote:

haha I just opened the tube that I put the pin in and the little ball on the pin got stuck in the top of the glue lid. I had to get the pliers to pull out the pin shaft from the glue nozzle. Bummer.
--
Maggie

On 07/20/2015 10:19 AM, dadiOH wrote:

That is the correct answer; for any important application, you spend the dollar or two and crack open a new tube.
Jon
On 7/20/2015 3:59 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

hmm I use it for broken finger nails, and don't really use much for each application. So far I've been able to keep it viable longer this time by making sure I store it upright. I just have to keep poking a long needle down the tube to open it up all over again so I can use it when I need it.
--
Maggie

On Monday, July 20, 2015 at 6:27:55 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

Have you tried running the needle through before storing it upright? Perhaps that would clear the tube opening before it had a chance to dry.
On 7/21/2015 6:14 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yes, I've tried that, too. This last try I used a larger needle, though, so maybe that'll help.
--
Maggie

I consider this stuff is one time use. Buy the cheap stuff that comes 6 in a pack for a buck or two, use it and toss the rest.
Muggles wrote:

Wipe the excess off with a dab of acetone (nail polish remover) , screw the cap on , and store it with the cap up . I have a bottle of the thicker stuff with a push-release valve in the tip that's at least a couple of years old , still good . A tube of the cheap stuff somewhere here on my (cluttered) desk is still good after at least 6 months .
--
Snag

On 7/20/2015 2:23 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I have been storing the used portions upright, but it still gets the hard clog in the tip end every time no matter what I try.
--
Maggie

On 07/20/2015 10:07 AM, Muggles wrote:

Back before it became a household product and was just 'Eastman 910' we kept the bottle in the refrigerator. Right next to everyone's lunch sack but nobody died afaik.
On 7/20/2015 11:39 PM, rbowman wrote:

I don't remember it being called "Eastman 910". Am I dating myself? LOL
--
Maggie

"Eastman 910" would be around the late 50s, early 60s. We used to get it but it was very expensive in those days. "Super glue" showed up after they lost patent protection and lots of people made it. These days it is so cheap that I do not really worry about reusing a tube if it plugs up. Places like Ace will have it in a drop bin, 6 on a card for a buck on sale or a couple bucks everyday. There is not much in those tubes but it is usually more than I need at any given time.

I guess for fixing broken nails I just want to be able to use it more than once because I use so little to fix a nail. I'm doing good keeping it for just a little while, then, it looks like.
--
Maggie

On 07/21/2015 10:25 AM, Muggles wrote:

Save your nails, get some pipa picks:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
If you scroll down, you'll even know what a pipa is.
On 7/21/2015 8:39 PM, rbowman wrote:

cool! Many moons ago I played a guitar and used a pick occasionally to play, but not Pipa picks.
--
Maggie