Super glue

I remember reading a thread about gorilla glue (I think that was the type of glue), but I can't find the thread.

I was wondering how to keep my tiny tubes of super glue from hardening at the tip after it's first use? I was going to try the solution someone mentioned in the gorilla glue thread, but can't remember exactly what the solutions was... maybe put some oil on the tip of the applicator? I'm not sure. Maybe it wouldn't work for super glue, but I was hoping someone would have a solution.

Reply to
Muggles

I tried that. Once. I wound up with a headless pin glued into the nozzle. It was headless because the little plastic ball came off when I resorted to pliers trying to get the pin out.

Reply to
dadiOH

You can't. That's why they sell it in little tubes :)

Oil won't work. It will help if you squeeze the tube to get as much air out as possible before you cap it. Be sure to wipe off any squeeze out before capping. I always keep unopened tubes in the fridge, sometimes opened ones too, no idea if it helps but it makes me think I am doing something.

Reply to
dadiOH

Simple--use a little acetone to clean the tip before storing (most nail polish remover is acetone for OP around the house available). At most you'll have a small-enough plug it's simple to remove.

I think it helps; I have a small prescription bottle of just about the size that will hold two tubes; I've kept it usable even after opened for well over a year--even that one surprised me as I recall thinking when the need arose it was so old as to probably be useless but was just fine.

Reply to
dpb

uhoh ...

Reply to
Muggles

haha I just opened the tube that I put the pin in and the little ball on the pin got stuck in the top of the glue lid. I had to get the pliers to pull out the pin shaft from the glue nozzle. Bummer.

Reply to
Muggles

So, does oil work?

Reply to
Muggles

I consider this stuff is one time use. Buy the cheap stuff that comes

6 in a pack for a buck or two, use it and toss the rest.
Reply to
gfretwell

Wipe the excess off with a dab of acetone (nail polish remover) , screw the cap on , and store it with the cap up . I have a bottle of the thicker stuff with a push-release valve in the tip that's at least a couple of years old , still good . A tube of the cheap stuff somewhere here on my (cluttered) desk is still good after at least 6 months .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I have been storing the used portions upright, but it still gets the hard clog in the tip end every time no matter what I try.

Reply to
Muggles

That is the correct answer; for any important application, you spend the dollar or two and crack open a new tube.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

hmm I use it for broken finger nails, and don't really use much for each application. So far I've been able to keep it viable longer this time by making sure I store it upright. I just have to keep poking a long needle down the tube to open it up all over again so I can use it when I need it.

Reply to
Muggles

Back before it became a household product and was just 'Eastman 910' we kept the bottle in the refrigerator. Right next to everyone's lunch sack but nobody died afaik.

Reply to
rbowman

Have you tried running the needle through before storing it upright? Perhaps that would clear the tube opening before it had a chance to dry.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't remember it being called "Eastman 910". Am I dating myself? LOL

Reply to
Muggles

"Eastman 910" would be around the late 50s, early 60s. We used to get it but it was very expensive in those days. "Super glue" showed up after they lost patent protection and lots of people made it. These days it is so cheap that I do not really worry about reusing a tube if it plugs up. Places like Ace will have it in a drop bin, 6 on a card for a buck on sale or a couple bucks everyday. There is not much in those tubes but it is usually more than I need at any given time.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes, I've tried that, too. This last try I used a larger needle, though, so maybe that'll help.

Reply to
Muggles

I guess for fixing broken nails I just want to be able to use it more than once because I use so little to fix a nail. I'm doing good keeping it for just a little while, then, it looks like.

Reply to
Muggles

Probably. That would be the late '60s before it was called 'super glue' and hit the commercial market. I was able to lure my girlfriend into the old 'touch you finger to your thumb' trick. Obviously she was gullible; she eventually married me.

We also used a lot of pourable RTV silicone to make high voltage capacitors. That was just starting to become widely available too. I still call it RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) which throws some people.

Reply to
rbowman

iirc Eastman Kodak sold it. There's a company that stumbled over its own feet more than once.

These

That's my tactic most of the time. The CA glues like Hot Stuff that you can find in hobby shops seem to last longer. I'm not the biggest safety guy but if you're using a lot of it like to reinforce the wing root on an R/C model you definitely want good ventilation. It's pretty fierce.

Reply to
rbowman