Supco UET electronic defrost timers

Looking for reliability info on the UET Supco freezer defrost timer replacements. We have a 6 mos. old Whirlpool that has already had a defrost timer die. The warranty replacement is identical and I am thinking of getting a UET as a spare.

Reply to
Mr.E

You know, this might be a pretty good idea.

Typically, mechanical defrost timers work well, but often people will notice that their fridge has stopped working and don't know what to do about it. Often, the cause is merely a defrost timer stuck in defrost mode. And electronic timer would be far more reliable than the defrost timers typically used in fridges.

Also, I can buy a defrost timer for my fridges for $12 from my appliance parts store, and less if they're on sale. When you hire an appliance repair company to come out and fix your fridge, if all they do is replace the defrost timer, they're going to charge you $50 for that part, and another $50 for the service call and labour to put it in.

Spending $100 (I'm guessing) on an electronic defrost timer to avoid those problems might be well worth the money to someone who's unfamiliar with fridges and wouldn't know where their defrost timer is or how to check it.

Reply to
nestork

I've never used one of those. Please let us know how it works, for you. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus

. . "Mr.E" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... Looking for reliability info on the UET Supco freezer defrost timer replacements. We have a 6 mos. old Whirlpool that has already had a defrost timer die. The warranty replacement is identical and I am thinking of getting a UET as a spare.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've never used one either, but from what I can see, this company is going to do well. Their defrost timer plugs into the same wiring harness plug as GE and Frigidaire use, it's adjustable so that you can set it to defrost for 10 to 35 minutes in 5 minute increments every 4 to

12 hours in 2 hour increments. So, they're going to be popular with appliance repair techs because that one defrost timer can replace dozens of generic timers with non-adjustable defrost times and frequencies. The tech only has to carry this kind of defrost timer in his truck, and set the defrost time and frequency to whatever the OEM timer did. That saves having to carry a dozen or so generic timers with non-adjustable defrost times and frequencies.

And, it only costs $9, which is less than what an ordinary unreliable motorized defrost timer would cost.

I'd like to read some consumer reviews on these things too.

'Supco Universal Refrigerator Electronic Defrost Timer UET120 120V 60Hz'

nestork