Sunken family room

I have a sunken family room (by design). On one of the exterior walls I am getting a lot of cold air either convecting or blowing in. I am kind of confused as to the sources as I recently completed my basement and insulated the joist cavities at the rim joist pretty well (foam insulation glued to the rim joist).

I am thinking that perhaps the design of the sunken floor has left a cold zone that I didn't see at the time and therefore didn't insulate.

Anyone have any experience with framing a sunken floor that might give me some insight as to what to look for. From what I can see/remember, the foundation wall is the same height all around the house meaning that they didn't lower the foundation to create the sunken family room.

Looking forward to your thoughts...

Reply to
edee em

. Cold air sinks.

Reply to
terry

Let me guess... you're favourite book is The DaVinci Code???

Reply to
edee em

I think what Terry was trying to tell you is that cold air falls and feels like a draft. Do you have large expanses of glass on the outside wall? The draft effect will be even more noticeable if you have a fire place in the equation as it constantly pulls inside air and sends it up the chimney. Is there a basement under the sunken living room? I would consider that a bit unusual. How sunken? 2 risers would be about 14-15 ".

If my guesses fit, there are several things to consider: thermal full length curtains better windows provide alternate combustion air to fireplace digging down and insulating the exterior of the footing, but this will demand more study.

Reply to
DanG

I see what you are saying: let me clarify. I understand that cold air falls but the cold I'm feeling is beyond a feeling of cold air falling. The walls are very cold at the bottom as if the air was coming in through the sill plate.

The wall I'm talking about does have a window on it and the fireplace is on another wall but it is blocked off (had the chimney capped a few years back). The cold air I'm feeling is more pronounced at the bottom of the wall in question as if it were coming in from the sill plate. The electrical outlet on the wall is very cold.

The room is sunken one riser (about 7"). And, yes, there is a basement below. But as I mentioned I finished the basement and that part of the remodel is a bathroom with insulation in the ceiling and the rim joist insulate very tightly with rigid foam.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Reply to
edee em