sundials

When making a sundial why do all of the diagrams show a triangle plate cut on the same degree as the latitude where you live for the shadow projector as opposed to a vertical pole to cast the shadow? Thanks for any ideas hlb

What was wrong with the Wikipedia explanation at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundial ? It makes plain that there are several ways to make a sundial, so we do not understand why all the diagrams you found seemed similar.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (HL B123) wrote:

First, I know little if anything about Sundials... however, several months ago I did stumble across an exhaustive looking Wikipedia article on them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundial
Good Luck!
Erik