sun dial

How do you set the time on a sun dial? If it works in a location and you move it 100 miles east or west then the shadow will be in the wrong place on the numbers. there must be a way to correct it. Thanks for any info
On 5/22/2012 11:49 AM, Herb Eneva wrote:

How do you correct for daylight savings time, now?
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb Eneva) wrote in 3171.bay.webtv.net:

check how many degrees north you are. Thats how the axis has to point. If you can find the North star(polaris) make it point at that. Adjust this advice, if you are on the south halve of the globe.

A sun dial provides local time, without regard to artificial time zones. It is Noon local time when the Sun is directly overhead.
You elevate the pointer (gnomen?) so it is parallel with the axis of the Earth. Pointing the pointer towards Polaris will do that.
If it is accurate before the move, and you do not move further North or South, then it will be accurate at the new location. All you have to do is make it point North or South, depending on your hemisphere.
Didn't someone once make a small sundial mounted on a wrist band?
Fred
Featured on the Flintstones show, Fred. I thought Wilma would have reminded you by now.
Didn't someone once make a small sundial mounted on a wrist band?
Fred
On 5/22/12 2:49 PM, Herb Eneva wrote:

I had to send mine back to the manufacturer to be re-calibrated based on the GPS co-ordinates of the new location.
I heard a rumor that new models have built-in GPS correction capability, so you could carry it around instead of a wristwatch. ;-)
On Tue, 22 May 2012 14:49:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb Eneva) wrote:

There is usually a small knob on the side. Unless you have a sundial that used the National Observatory time.

Turn the knob, or the dial.

From March to Nov(in states that observe Daylight SLAVING Time) Noon will be around 1pm DST. Set dial so shadow falls on 12 at that time and you'll be in the ballpark. If you live East of your prime meridian(Eastern = 75deg west, Central = 90 west, Mountain = 105, etc) set "noon" early - by about 15 min(11:45am Standard or 12:45pm DST). If you live in the Western half of the zone, set noon late - about 15 min(12:15pm Standard or 1:15 DST).
Google "local noon calendar" if you want to be really precise; there are some good ones on line.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb Eneva) wrote:

Here's a good place to start...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dial
Erik

Everything has gone digital these days...
http://www.fransmaes.nl/genk/en/gk-zw08-e.htm
On Tue, 22 May 2012 14:49:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb Eneva) wrote:

I thought sun dials quit working in the year 2000 due to that Y2K business.....
On Wed, 23 May 2012 03:16:24 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

Had to do an update in 1999. In my case, the sundial is mounted on my deck. It was tough rotating the deck to make the adjustments.