Sump Water Hammer Problem

I have a sump pump that is electric. It has I believe a 2.5" exhaust? pipe. Pump is in basement floor and water rises probably 10-15ft and moves horizontally about 6 ft. I burned out a few pumps, so I got a bigger BADDER one. After reading I think this is the cause of my new watter hammer problems. Pump is putting stress on my piping and has caused one strap to snap. With the snapped strap, the whole pipe is slamming when the pump turns off. Its loud, housewide. The check valve is about 1 ft over the top of the pit.

I have looked for water hammer devices for 2.5" PVC pipe but I have not seen any. At this point I am considering adding my own length of pipe in a T fashion across the horizontal portion to absorb the hammering that occurs when the pump shuts off.

Is this a good idea? Any other ideas/considerations?

Note: the broken strap is behind some drywall and I don't want to open it up, though I might do that.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert
10-15ft and : moves horizontally about 6 ft. I burned out a few pumps, so I got a : bigger BADDER one. After reading I think this is the cause of my new : watter hammer problems. Pump is putting stress on my piping and has : caused one strap to snap. With the snapped strap, the whole pipe is : slamming when the pump turns off. Its loud, housewide. The check valve : is about 1 ft over the top of the pit. : : I have looked for water hammer devices for 2.5" PVC pipe but I have not : seen any. At this point I am considering adding my own length of pipe : in a T fashion across the horizontal portion to absorb the hammering : that occurs when the pump shuts off. : : Is this a good idea? Yup, long's the air trap part's vertical!

Any other ideas/considerations? : : : Note: the broken strap is behind some drywall and I don't want to open : it up, though I might do that. : : : : -- : Thank you, : : : CL Gilbert : "Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor : man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard." Ecclesiastes 9:16

Reply to
Pop

I think I overstated the size of my pipe by about 1".

Thanks for the info pop. Ill try the T. Also I read about springloaded check valves may be better for this?

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

You have water hammer in the other piping of the house? Like the pipes you drink water out of?

How is that piping connected to your sump pump?

Or if you mean water hammer in the sump pump pipe, I guess so but it surprises me. When the pump turns off in my house, all the water that hasn't been expelled, pours back down the pipe back into the sump. But it's only the weight of the water in the pipe that pushes this. My rise is 10 feet, no more. And about 3 feet accross.

The sump pump they push at HD matches the one my house came with. I replaced it once because the metal pipe rusted out at water level. The new one has a plastic pipe.

There is a one way valve I could get that would keep the water in the pipe. That means I wouldn't have to pump it back up again the next time, and the water would just stop where it was. No wooshing sound, but no hammer either way.

Use a stronger strap.

mm

No.

Its not.

Yes, that is a waste of energy to repump all that water. My rise is about 10ft as well. I have a check valve so it does not dump all the water back into the pit. When the check valve closes after the pump shuts off I get the hammering.

I replaced my sump with a stronger one from lowes. I think the higher gpm is what is causing my issue. More pressure is moving the pipes slightly, then when pressure is relieved, pipes relax and check valve closes causing the slam.

The check valve is the cause of my water hammering.

Strength alone wont get it. Vibration will eventually cause it to snap again. Im going to try an dinsulate it with a piece of rubber or something.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

I'm surprised but you live there and I don't.

Sounds good.

mm

Where is the check valve, is pipe the right size

Reply to
m Ransley

The valve is just above the pit about a foot. The pipe is probably not exactly the best size for the new stronger pump I bought. A slower pump would be better all around. It was the only one in lowes with lifetime warranty and I needed it right away, and my other pump wore out after 2 years. The building-plumber gave me an even stronger sewage ejector pump...

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert