Sump pumps -- GFCI required?

I have seen lots of conversation about this but there is no actual code language about it. On argument is if the ground is up and the cover comes loose it will hit the ground pin but that is not enough to drive a code change. There also does not seem to be any consensus of how the cord should hang (pin up or down ref the direction of the cord on a flat plug) I have examples of both here.

The only thing that is somewhat a convention is that switched receptacles are installed in the opposite orientation from the unswitched ones. That makes sense as long as the user understands it.

Reply to
gfretwell

And pretty difficult to do with the common"around here anyway) practice of "splitting" an outlet and switching only one half - allowing you yo use the outlet for something that stays on as well as a lamp you switch - all in the same box.

Reply to
clare

If the receptacle is inverted you would still see it was different than the rest, whether that is "half hot" or the whole thing. Then the question is which one do you switch? I like the logic that the top is hot and the bottom switched since that will usually be the lamp you don't move around and the top is available for portable equipment.

Reply to
gfretwell

It would APPEAR they are intended to be installd ground down, as the embossed printing in the plastic front is right side up in that orientation.

Here in Ontario I would venture to guess over 90% are installed U down, neutral left.

Reply to
clare

I dont have the recent code so I cant know for sure if this Exemption was eliminated. And I did work for an electrician years ago, so I do support following the code. But I think the code has gone overboard in recent years and some of their rules are senseless nit-picking, and a few are downright wrong.

If a GFCI is now required on a sump pump, THIS is WRONG..... Granted, safety for people should come above and beyond protecting property, but there are situations where they need to look at common sense. This is one of them. A person is more likely to get electrocuted in a flooded basement, than one that is not flooded, because a sump pump is keeping the basement dry.

When I lived in a house that had a sump pump, I ALWAYS UNPLUGGED IT, when I was doing maintanance on it, such as cleaning the pit. Whenever an electrical cord enters water, a person should uplug the cord before contacting the water. That's just common sense. Yet, it seems our schools dont teach stuff like that anymore, and we now live in a society full of idiots..... That apparently is why the code keps getting changed.

However, there are two instances where I will NOT use a GFCI. A Refrigerator/freezer and a Sump Pump. You can move the fridge to a place that dont require a GFCI, but you cant move a sump pump. However, there are cheating methods. You can get a 14ga (or heavier) extension cord and plug the sump pump into an outlet located on the first floor of the house, rather than in the basement. Or just install a non-GFCI outlet on the ceiling above the pump, label it "SUMP PUMP ONLY - DO NOT UNPLUG", and if the inspectors come, tell them it was like that when you moved in. It's not like they are going to put you in jail for it. The worse they can do is make you install a GFCI. Many inspectors wont even notice it, if your electrical system is in decent shape.

I'm not going to risk flooding my basement over a code rule that is not in the best interest, and should be changed.....

Sometimes consumers need to speak up as well as electricians when it comes to these codes. Just because it's written in a book, dont mean it's correct....

Reply to
Paintedcow

Just another example of using rules which were originally intended for safety to get their hands into your wallet and fill their own pockets. They know that some people will actually be stupid enough to buy the permit. But think about this.... How are they going to know if you replaced an outlet or switch??? Unless they have detailed photos of every room in your home, they wont even know if you change a light fixture.

Reply to
Paintedcow

I changed all the switches and outlets to CoALR before the inspection but did not install the GFCIs because electrician said I didn't need to (very recent change) - so I needed a permit to get the re-inspection. First inspector was very understanding and granted me a no fee permit and no re-inspection fee.

Reply to
clare

Of course with pedestal style pumps, the electricity is more than a foot above the water, the motor and the swich and anything else.

Reply to
Micky

On the ceiling? Why the ceiling? That's 7 feet from my pump.

Reply to
Micky

Untill the GFCI trips - - -

Reply to
clare

Very common proctice - to keep it out of the wet, prevent other loads from being connected to the circuit, and prevent having to rout cords across the floor and up walls to an outlet.

Reply to
clare

Okay, if you say so. Our basement when I was little was wet a lot and the big room wasn't used for anything. I wonder if it has a sump pump yet, or if they did anythign to keep it dry in the first place.

Reply to
Micky