Sump pump warning.

I have a standard type of sum pump in the basement. If this pump fails the first I will know about it is when I have back up in the basement.
I'm looking for some kind of warning device which will alert me when the pump or float fails but before I get the flood. Does anyone know of such a device?
Peter.
Most stores sell flood alarms that sit on the floor, they are not loud,if you get one get the type where the alarm unit can be upstairs. Then there are of course commercial units and alarm system tie ins. If you are really worried look at a water powered backup by www.basepump.com or www.Zoeller.com

For one solution, do a Google search on water alarms.
For another solution, do a Google search on "Basement Watchdog".

Any hardware store should have one for about $10. It might not be much cheaper, but if you have them already -a siren/bell/buzzer/light, some wire & a battery will work fine.
Wire the siren[or whatever] up so that one side goes to your sump hole & is open until the water reaches it.
Jim

the easiest solution ive found is to buy a smoke detector. get some speaker wire or other two wire cord, and connect one end of each wire with solder to each side of the test switch inside the smoke detector. drill a hole in the plasic cover so the wire comes out easy. strip an inch off the other ends, and and wrap with duct tape leaving the ends exposed, and somewhat close (1/4 inch) but not touching (tinning the wire will help prevent accidental touching), then add some weight like a nail so it wont float, and just set it on the ground. the wire itself when wet will set off the smoke alarm.
nothing fancy needed. plus its still a smoke alarm.
randy
You could hook a sonalert, doorbell, or air raid siren. Use a couple wires or electrodes placed where the water level alarm is wanted. I would use a small flat container like a soda or Rx bottle top or something. Fill with salt. Place under the scupper of the floor drain so pets won't eat it. When it gets wet, the salt water will conduct electricity. It's probably best to use a latching relay so it will sound until you shut it off.

I'm always curious why some electronics seem to aim for the most complicated configuration rather than the simplest one.
I've never taken an electronics class & maybe you have-- so maybe you can explain why you would use; 1. a container. . . the sump hole is a container, yes? 2. salt water. . . fresh water transmits electricity just fine for this application. [I just tested my 2 yr old 9v battery & with 30' of run with 19ga bell wire. The wires are about 2" apart & make a good connection when dunked in my sump hole.] 3. Relay?. . . . why? My siren screams until I pull the wires up out of the water. [Someday I might put a switch upstairs.]
Just curious.
Jim

OK, then here is the non-electronics version: a long dowel rod skewered unto a styrofoam tankball floating within the sump. On top of the rod is a sharp tack or pin. The sleeping cat's hammock is positioned over the dowel. When the water level rises too high, the tack pokes through the hammock cloth and the cat lets out a yowl to alert you to a high level in the sump.
Rube Goldberg could do it better...
Super, super. I've gotta print all these. Many thanks to all.
Peter.