Sump pump replacement

This may seem a silly question, but here it is. My sump pump is over 20 years old. It stopped pumping yesterday and after draining the sump manually and removing this pump I found the problem to be a rusted away pipe near what appears to be an impeller housing. Whats left of some of the pipe is rusted to that housing. Considering everything, I'm replacing the pump with something new. What I have is a pedestal type, and over the last few years I've spent too much time fiddling with the float and it's guides.
Can I replace this style with a submersible one? From photos they seem more compact and the float seems simpler. TIA, Gerry
Absolutely, as long as you have enough depth for the float or pressure switch to operate

And as long as the drain pit (my family calls it a crock) is wide enough to allow the float to rise.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Just make sure that the float has room to do its thing,otherwise go ahead gerry gardiner wrote:

gerry gardiner wrote:

Yes as long as you have both room and depth for the float. I replaced my pedestal with one somewhere around 20 years ago. Nice not fiddling with the float anymore.
Harry K
I have had both kinds of pumps........
pedastal type advantage is you can know what the water level is...
the submersible type is filled with oil at least my old one was ttill a seal failed and it shorted out.........