sump pump repaired

thought I'd share this one. Came home last night to the sound of the sump pump running continuously. Unplugged it, disconnected the outlet pipe and pulled it out of the pit. The float switch's float had come off. This pump (from Ace Hardware) has a float that slides up and down on a rod; at the top the rod is attached to a lever that operates the pump on/off switch. When the float reaches the top it bumps the lever to turn the pump on, when it sinks back down it pulls the rod down which pulls the lever down and switches the pump off. The bottom of the rod is attached to a flexible flap. Only it had become unattached allowing the float to fall off completely. First I tried fishing around in the sump pit to find whatever had attached the rod to the flap at the bottom. Pulled up various bits of gravel, an old screw or two, a dime, etc. but no joy. Then I tried looking around for the warranty on the dang pump thinking I might try to exchange it; found the little manual but naturally I did not have the receipt indicating when I bought the thing. So the solution was to fabricate a new rod out of coathanger wire. Snip snip bend bend and back in operation. Not sure how long this will last, maybe next time I'll use a piece of plastic-coated copper wire or something to avoid corrosion. -- H

Good one, congratulations. Consider scrounging a piece of 1/8" stainless steel welding wire from a store or shop. More ridgid than copper, long lasting.
Joe

Usually when they run continuously in a dry hole its because over time they shift position slightly and the float will contact the pit walls and hang up.