sump pump questions

We just installed a Ridgid 1/2 HP sump pump in our basement to control a recent flooding problem where we estimated about 5 gpm leaking into our basement. The pump is placed in a kitchen trash can through a hole (about 18" deep) in our concrete. The can is about 15"x11" dimensions. The pump comes on every one to one and a half minutes for about 4-6 seconds. Is this too frequent, and what can be done to increase the time between pumping?

Thanks.

Reply to
wildlifereflections

Oh yeah, WAY too frequent and WAY too short a run-time. If it's a pedestal pump it should have a float on a vertical rod. On the rod are two collars that can be adjusted up or down. The collar below the switch lever is the "on" setting - moving it down will allow the water to rise higher before turning on the pump, set this collar as low as you can while keeping the water level at a manageable height inside your sump/trashcan. The collar above the switch lever is the "off" setting - moving it UP will lower the level of water that shuts off the pump. You want the water level as low as possible when the pump shuts off without having the pump suck air so move this up as much as possible (usually to the top of the rod). In general, the further apart these two collars are, the pump will have a longer run-time and cycle less frequently.

Reply to
louie

Thats not too frequent. You just have a really strong pump. And a low volume pit. If you want to reduce the time between activations, you have to increase the volume of your pit by making it wider/ increasing the diameter.

To where are you pumping the water?

Reply to
dnoyeB