sump pump question

It appears as though mine has decided to run 24/7. Anything it could be that I might be able to take care of on my own, or should I just bite the bullet and call for a plumber.

You could buy a plug-in float switch.

I would just get a new pump.

I' d have to dig up the invoice, but it has to be at least 10 a years old.
On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 15:17:27 -0500, Kurt Ullman wrote:

?????? Why do you need to get the invoice to buy a new sump pump? If it is under warranty, like duh, the plumber will not fix it under warranty unless you show him the invoice! Even then, you may still have to pay for the labor. It isn't that difficult to replace the sump pump with a new one.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Fix or replace the switch.

First, check to see that the float is not just gummed up with tree roots or mud or whatever. Have you checked to see if it still floats or sinks with the water level, and won't shut off even with the float hanging down?

Yes. And yes.
On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 16:30:17 -0600, Bert Byfield

Howdy,
About two years ago we had more than 18" of water in our basement because of a "stuck float."
Now, we have two pumps each with a switch that has no moving parts. The switches work like a charm.
Check http://www.washerwatcher.com/sump_watcher.htm
All the best,
--
Kenneth

Check to see that nothing is holding the switch in the "on" position. Sometimes debris and cords can get in the way.
Depending on what type you have, new switches are readily available at most hardware stores and home centers, and they are easy to replace. They are usually less than $10. Unplug or turn off before replacing switch.
Hank

Check valve?

Over time a pump can shift position in the hole and the float switch could get hung up rubbing on the side and not come down. If you manually work the switch a few times does it shut off? If switch is not hung up then it sounds like the float switch went bad. I installed a Rigid pump that I like a lot, but this time I used a free- floating non-integrated switch. The old pump was a Zoeller that had an integrated switch and float, the switch went bad and the pump itself would shift every year and cause the float to hang/bang up on the wall. With a free-floating switch you can manually force the pump on at the outlet, and I like that feature over an integrated switch pump. A teathered free-floating swich cant get hung up on the wall when the pump shifts.