Sump pump question

I have a submersible sump pump, just under one year old, which recently has changed its behavior somewhat. By this I mean up until a few days ago, the sump pump would take seven seconds to fill and discharge once the float mechanism was activated. Now, the sump pump takes 14 seconds to fill and discharge once the float activates the switch.

Any thoughts on what might be contributing to this increased length of time?

Thanks,

--Howie

Reply to
Howie

I would flush the pump out and ensure it hasnt sucked up something.

Reply to
marks542004

could be more ground water around the pit, siphoning in as it pumps, or something clogging its screen

Reply to
RBM

Could be that some crud has built up inside the pump over time, and is now clogging up the water's pathway. If it looks like a simple task to take apart the pump housing, you can have a look inside it you'll easily see the crud if that's the problem.

Mark

Reply to
Redbelly

I can't imagine TIMING my sump pumps. You need a job or something. Let them pump the water and ignore them.

Reply to
Steve Barker

If you had been presented with sump issues it might become a component of your observations. That doesn't take too much imagination, expect perhaps for a moron.

--Howie

Reply to
Howie

Can't say why the delay. I have never seen a sump pump that didn't begin pumping instantly when the switch activates. True, it might take a few seconds for the water to reach the drain pipe outlet but that is a function of filling the pipe up first. Now if that is what you are referring to, then yes, it is a crud up problem.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I bet you don't even know how many empty pop bottles are under the sink.

Some people just blunder through life.

Reply to
HeyBub

It is still pumping once the float mechanism activates the switch, however the total time for it to complete its activity (until the pump shuts off) has increased.

Thanks for your thoughts and the other considerate responses.

--Howie

Reply to
Howie

Oh, believe me I've had my fill of sump issues. With two in the basement and a spring under the slab, I've been through 7 pumps in 23 years. BUT, I don't worry about them as long as they're pumping water and shutting off now and then.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I drink from cans. Thanks for your useless input.

Reply to
Steve Barker