Sump Pump has no switch. How the heck does it work?

Posted Nov. 22, 2016. This message is ON TOPIC, contains no politics, and is not a relic from Homeownershub).... *Miracles Happen* :)

----

I was at a sale and bought a box of misc household stuff for a few bucks. One item was this Sump Pump, "Little Giant (brand) Model 6-CIMR".

Here's a weblink to it. (Exact model)

I noticed it has no switch, no float, or any other means to turn it on and off (except plug/unplug it).

I would assume that it should run if I plug it in. I did, and it does not run, hum, or anything. That tells me that it's probably defective, which is why it was being sold as it was. There were plenty of other useful items in that box, so I'm not out any money.

However, I'm wondering if this pump, and others like it, must be submerged in water to function? Does anyone know? I'll probably tear it apart when I have nothing better to do, and see if it's fixable, but I want to make sure that this is not just because it needs to be in water. If it was summer, I'd just toss it in a bucket of water, but the weather is cold and nasty, and I dont feel like trying this indoors and making a mess.

Is anyone familiar with these type of pumps?

Reply to
Paintedcow

Try dropping it in the water (assuming it is a submersible sump pump) There may be an electronic water sensing switch inside.

Reply to
gfretwell

Looking at the user manual for this model at

it appears that a "float switch" is an external option. The pump by itself should run when plugged in.

Reply to
Retired

is it automatic

Yes it is automatic. It also was very easy to install. Howard Worden answered on June 2, 2014

This is a better link:

IIRC, when Amazon started out selling things, it had ratings but no questions. Now people can make comments on the ratings and on the answers to the questions.

The answers can be really funny. Does it do this? A: I don't know. I haven't tried it yet.

Even when they are the third person answering and two others already gave an answer.

Or someone asks it's length or weight and quite different answers are given.

So here are more answers to the question above:

Yes, it has pressure switch. The black round housing on the side is where the switch is. Very reliable.

if you mean does it come on by itself when the water gets to a certain level - yes. It does require being plugged in

Yes, it activates when the water level is about a certain point. I've had one before, and it worked fine. They last about 8-10 years in this part of the country (Iowa).

That seems like a very bad idea.

No, but I need a 2nd sump pump. This does seem easier to install than the others. It's 10 amps and my other one is probably over 5 (plus I have the burglar alarm plugged in there too.) I'll have to plug it in somewhere else

The pump while not running would usually have just enough water to cover the pump... but at about 10 inches or so above the pump it automatically starts and discharges 10 gallons of water in seconds. I absolutely love my little giant. The pressure switch design is so much better than the external float designs of other pumps.. the external floats on other pumps get hung up on the side walls or on the Power cords. This is the best pump for a deep well sump pump.

Oops. Didn't need the questions. here is part of the description: Little Giant 6-CIA has a diaphragm pressure switch which engages the pump at 7-Inch to 10-Inch water level and turns it off at 1-Inch to

4-Inch.

I think my house came with a 1/3 HP sump pump and I stupidly replaced it with the same thing. Well, only once in 33 years has it not had enough volume to keep up with the rain, but if I stay another 33 years, it might happen again. This is also 1/3 HP.

This Pump will discharge 2,760 GPH, Jim, Sales Mgr. amazon.com

Reply to
micky

No, it's the "none switch" model. Says so in the ad copy. Should run when plugged in. If it doesn't then it's junk.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Nope. That Amazon link is for a different model than the Grainger link.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

That's TMI. :-)

makolber

How cold is it that you can't put it in a pail of water and plug it in outside? Or maybe in a garage or basement, if available. From the description, it sure sounds like it has no switch, no float, and should just run when plugged in.

Reply to
trader_4

No, it's the "none switch" model. Says so in the ad copy. Should run when plugged in. If it doesn't then it's junk.

Dave M.

There are many activation setup's Resistive, capacitive, magnetic, visual, Floating, it could be build internally and not necessary visual float.

Reply to
Tony944

Thanks for the link to the user manual. That confirmed that it should run without water. That also lead me to get it fixed.

First off. I was being an idiot, when I found out the outlet I plugged it into was not working. That outlet is connected to a GFI breaker that feeds the outdoor outlets. That GFI probably tripped because it rained and there's an extension cord plugged into it, from when I was doing some repairs out there. (I really need to rewire that, and get the inside outlet off that same GFI).

After getting the GFI issue fixed, the pump hummed when I plugged it in, but would not rotate the impeller. I first removed the bottom and the impeller. The shaft was still siezed up. I ended up taking the whole motor apart, and was surprised to find that it's filled with oil. (good thing I had it upright when I opened it).

I was able to loosen the shaft, which has siezed up below the bottom bearing, and above the impeller, by scraping away some dried crud off with a putty knife, and rotating the shaft with a vicegrip on the shaft. I put it back together, oiled that lower part of the shaft real well, and it works like a new pump.

Reply to
Paintedcow

No it dont. Apparently you were looking at a different model pump.

Of course it needs to be plugged in.... That's a no brainer.... An external float can be purchased to make it work automatically.

Yep, it works that way WITH the external float, which is not included with the pump.

Why do you say that? That is how people repair things, and how I got it working. It works great now, after I tore it apart and found the shaft was siezed up above the impeller.

  • This pump will come in handy when I need to empty livestock watering tanks, so I can move them, or to get rid of "stale" water and clean them. That will sure beat using a 5 gallon bucket to remove as much as
200 gallons of water.
Reply to
Paintedcow

Oops. My bad.

Reply to
micky

Part of standard sump pump maintenance should be to run the pump once a month for a few seconds to ensure the shaft does not seize up. I also run the pump for a few seconds when a big storm is forecast. I'd rather find out I have a problem before the water is rising. M

Reply to
makolber

I agree, but I bought this pump at an auction and who knows when it was last run....

Reply to
Paintedcow